My Panasonic RP-91 DVD player died last night :(

Mike Lindsey

I have owned this unit since August of 2001, and up until last night there has never been a problem with it. Last night, however, I inserted a dvd and within 2 seconds it just shut off. I disconnected the power and tried again... same result. It will display Welcome and then that's it. Lights out! I can't even get the dvd out.

Is there anything I can do about this or is it toast? If it's toast, I know nothing about the modern players and am really not in a financial position to replace it at this time.

The RP-91 is a progressive scan unit that can also play DVD-A discs (which I have many of). If I do have to replace it what are some of the better players out there that can also play DVD-A? My current TV is also 5 years old and only has component inputs (no HDMI), but would consider players that have all the bells and whistles.

When this DVD player came out it came highly recommended on a number of other Forums, and if I was to replace it I would expect the same from a new player. I'm a little disappointed that these things don't even last 5 years.

Any help would be appreicated.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike, sounds like it toasted the boot-up ROM somehow. I'm not exactly sure how that player executes the start-up sequence, but the instructions are clearly corrupted.

Does the player have any technical blogs that might be useful? I'll take a quick look around.

OTOH, it's amazing how inexpensive DVD players are these days, and the fact that they actually DO last five years is a little surprising to me. My Philips DVD963SA is a great deck but I'm sure it will go upside down in the next few years.

Just look at it as an opportunity to upgrade once again.

Chris

Mike, googled the subject and player. There is a lot out there. It would appear there is a Panasonic service disk available. Maybe you can download it and burn one.

That being said, you'll still have to get the thing past "Welcome" ...

Do some due diligence on line, then start thinking about your next DVD player [:$]

Chris