Pioneer and Klipsch

cemetaryman

I am in the middle of moving from Europe to USA and have to get myself a new HT.

I have a Parasound and MIrage. But i had to leave behind the Parasound :( With all the new things around I have decided to try out the Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi I then wanted to get some more speakers and wanted Mirage in the start, since I have had them for 12years and never a prob. Tried looking for them but the ones I want are not easy to get ahold of at an ok price. I found the Klipsch and was wondering if i could maybe use 4 x RVX54 & RVX-42 aswell as a sub which i havent decided on yet :) They would fit nice in the room i will be making(15x17).

So my question is will the Pioneer go well with those speakers or should i consider looking at the larger ones.

Plus has anyone played the RXV54 up against the Omnisat V2 FS

BTw cool site, have gotten a bunch of useful info already.

• 2 weeks later...

cemetaryman: Welcome to the forum and to the US of A! We're glad to have you here!

Our current HT has been running a Klipsch / Pioneer Elite combination for the last 3 years and we've gotten rave reviews from all visitors including the forum members here whom have visited. Our theater was recently featured in the June issue of Home Theater Magazine. Page 84.

We are running the Pioneer Elite VSX-49TXi receiver along with RF-7 Fronts, RC-7 Center, RS-7 Side-Surrounds and RCW-5's for Rear-Surrounds, all complimented by a RSW-15 sub. The Pioneer provides more than enough clean power.

The sound is very dynamic, in-your-face and almost breath-taking, but never shrill. If I had to trade my 49TXi in for a newer model, it would be the 84TXSi that you mentioned in your post. Nice rig! You will LOVE the on board MCACC equaliztion system. It's all I ever need to do to make the room sound perfect.

I do admit that I have no experience with Mirage speakers and the Klipsch are probably much more efficient and require less amplifer power than the Mirage. A 200-watt/per-channel Denon might make a good alternate choice as well.

i dunno ...

take this with a grain of salt

a friend just bought a VSX something or other 110wpc

i gave him some Infinity M 155's

damn thing goes into overload, just when it's starting to sound good ....

BUMMER

Duke: I could be totally off-base here, sir so please don't feel I am trying to discount what you said.

If your friend "just bought" his, there's a good chance he doesn't have it set up properly. One caveat to buying ANY brand of new receiver: New owners must read and follow that owner's manual carefully. Today's receiver's are much more sophisticated than the old 2-channel affairs and some have complex set-ups. The Pioneer Elites are no exception. It took me a month to really get mine tweaked-out before I was confident that it was properly dialed-in. Also, it could be that the Pioneer is simply a poor match for Infinities? There are some that say Yamaha receivers can make Klipsch sound bright, too. Others don't agree. I have not witnessed it, but they claim it to be true. So, there are plenty of opinions to go around out there. The best thing I can think of for cemetaryman to do is to follow what his own ears tell him.

now, now .... Picky ........

your sooooooo Polite .....the Dukester won't bite YOUR head off, Eh ....???

let me have It ...!!

no .... i am really dissapointed for 110 wpc ...

it must go into Protect @ 111 wpc

good thing you didn't put your foot in yer mouth on them infinity's ...

they are 101 dB/w/m....

that's why i originally bought 'em

just can't Spank that Pioneer.....

everytime I get it to where I'm rockin' ...

the damn thing goes into Protect

110 wpc is ALL you get ....Period

Recievers ........[:(]

too many features ...

to little performance

My obvious "politeness" is what I call respect: I treat folks in the manner I wish to be treated. Old fashion upbringing I suppose. Thanks much for returning the favor.

Yeah, good call: I had no idea of the sensitivity rating on those Infinity's so I didn't make any assumptions.

I'm really sorry to hear that your experience with the Pioneer doesn't parallel that of mine. I've never had mine go into clipping. Not once. Mine is 130 wpc, which shouldn't make that big a difference. Perhaps the power supply in mine is more up to the task? My rig was $4,500 list and weighs almost 70 pounds. The one you speak of may be a VSX-80, 81 or 52 which run from $950 to 650 and weigh between 33 and 34 pounds. If based on weigh alone, I would have to surmise mine has a huge transformer in it. That makes a big difference. The one that cemetaryman is looking at (VSX-84) weighs in at only 35 with 140 wpc. So, Duke, you might have a very good point there for him. The new VSX-59 weighs in at 67 pounds with about 140 wpc, but heck, it costs $4,000!

FWIW:

I am not going to try to get into 'this model versus that model', but generally speaking, if someone is willing to spend $4000 on electronics, I would recommend separates rather than a receiver. For that money I would definately go with any of several separate preamp/control units and 3 2-channel amps. Take your pick, be they SS Crown Itech or KSeries amps, tube, or hybrid formats,... you are welcome to select whatever floats your boat

And the most significant factor in 'dynamic reserve response' in order to prevent transient clipping is going to be the amplifier capacitance...

OTOH, if one is looking at a sub-$1000 budget for electronics, the choice is most likely a receiver, and I will defer to personal preference rather than to specify a brand. The relative merits of receivers in this territory have been debated at length here and on other sites.

Hell man, I've had my Sony a year and a half, and just now figuring it out......Picky is so right about NEW receivers as compared to older 2 channel ones......whole different game, takes time..........hated mine for a year, finally got proper cables for proper hook-up, and it's a whole different receiver......now just figuring out adjustments..crazy....

Thanks for all the comments.

I tried to check out the list of dealers in my area but those i checked was not easy to be found :) I found a BestBuy/Magnolia Center which had a couple of Klipsch speakers. But for some reason the line too them was screwed up and they sounded awfull. So i didnt get a real picture of how they sounded then. So i ended up getting what I already felt safe with and bought a bunch of the Mirage OM series(OM8/OMR2/OMC3) and a Mirage BPS150i to go with the ones I already have.

So far i'm happy with it. Havent put it too any test yet since im considering getting a new DVD player with HDMI to get the best out of it :)

Also as said in earlier posts these new recievers need alot of time getting used to and learning how to get the best out of it. But I must say that i do miss the Parasound and so far mean that it did give a better sound too my ears, maybe ill add some later on :)

I have since i got the new speakers found a place that has some Klipsch speakers and lines to test them. Compared to the other speakers that was in there, they was good. So if i do change the set up or need to set up a new room I will be giving them a new try then.

I think it was the RF82 they had. Aswell as some of the bookshelf ones.