Fair Use

damonrpayne

While I'm complaining:

Why do I have to watch the FBI warning and Interpol crap EVERY time before EVERY DVD I own? In this day and age of technology, can we make it so that the hard-drive in my BluRay or HD-DVD player stores the fact that I've already watched it and moves on? I wonder how much of my life I've wasted seeing the FBI warning?

I understand that I face prison time and up to $100,000 in fines, no need to remind me every time I see a movie. My car does not remind me that 12 points will suspsend my license before it will let me drive.

Its so easy to impose ridiculous things on people with technology.

Before I rant, my own ethical code prevents me from copying copyrighted material.

Re: punishment. No kidding. If I copy a movie, I guess I've stolen $20 from the studio. Is that worth a huge fine and jail time? If I stole $20 from 7-11 it wouldn't even be worht small claims. Even if I make 100 copies of a movie and gave it away, is it truly $2000 worth of damage to that firm? These guys must have missed Econ 101 when they discussed that the demand might only be that high if the price is $0.

The poor Movie and Recording industries........When are you guys going to stop stealing the food off their tables? Poor guys are on a road to the poor house..........Stealing Movies, and CD's is killing them..........nevermind that you paid top dollar for a movie, and want to make a copy to lend out to friends, and keep original in perfect shape.........Damn Pirates stealing material...........$20. for a CD, and you want a copy for the car, and not destroy the original.........Crooks.....How dare you share your media with a friend, Go Directly to Jail........Those Stars have bills to pay too.......How can you look in the mirror, knowing your stealing material like that..............EASY that's how.....I'm all for the artist being rewarded for their work, but give me a break guys..........Here's an idea.......LOWER YOUR PRICES.....make it less desirable to burn movies, and music......if it's cheaper to buy, than burn, people will buy..............BOY that's a stupid idea,huh..........cheaper they will buy more...........Better go take my medicine...............PIRACY is a joke, what do you really think DVD-HD and Blue Ray are all about........giving the consumer better product? Yeah right, and I own a million acres of the Adirondack Forest.......anybody lookin' for some land real cheap ????????

I think 12 dollars for a cd

15 dollars for a dvd is fair

Hence I rarely buy dvds and buy only new release cds

You really think that's a fair price? I bet you the Music and Movie companies don't spend more than $1.00 per disc to produce and make a disc....they could sell them for $3.99 and still make money.....NEW......the cost isn't really the point........If I make a copy of say the Pulse, and give it to you Jay, that is a crime........I made a duplicate....I am a Pirate stealing product I already bought.......Does that make sense to you?.....I make a copy of the soundtrack of the disc for my car......I am a Pirate, I made a duplicate, that's illegal. So what do they do, put you in jail or fine you, and the companies that make equipment to duplicate disc's continue to sell their products UNTOUCHED.......It's like the so-called Drug War now.......Go after the USER, the SUPPLIER gets to sell another day........[:o]

I think 12 dollars for a cd

15 dollars for a dvd is fair

Hence I rarely buy dvds and buy only new release cds

You really think that's a fair price? I bet you the Music and Movie companies don't spend more than $1.00 per disc to produce and make a disc....they could sell them for $3.99 and still make money.....NEW......the cost isn't really the point........If I make a copy of say the Pulse, and give it to you Jay, that is a crime........I made a duplicate....I am a Pirate stealing product I already bought.......Does that make sense to you?.....I make a copy of the soundtrack of the disc for my car......I am a Pirate, I made a duplicate, that's illegal. So what do they do, put you in jail or fine you, and the companies that make equipment to duplicate disc's continue to sell their products UNTOUCHED.......It's like the so-called Drug War now.......Go after the USER, the SUPPLIER gets to sell another day........[:o]

It costs about a few pennies to make the cd but we are paying for content not the medium. We buy books based on the information, not the paper..... You can make one legal copy of the cd or technically dvd but you cannot give it to anyone or so.... Sony made that into law because of the vhs.... now they want to fight the law they helped to create......

Can you copy write your own image? Then if someone like the press took a picture of you. Could you then sue them?

when you copyright an image you copyright a certain image.... The press can take pictures of you on public areas or like paparazzi do (take pictures from public land and use telephoto lenses to zoom to private homes......)

• 1 month later...

The reason illegal is in quotes is because so far these copyright infringement cases have been civil cases, not criminal.

Exactly

And for what it's worth, I believe there have even been cases brought to and thrown out of the criminal courts...

As far as the stupid FBI crap - apart from the time investment there's nothing stopping you from ripping your own DVD's off the original DVD's. Heck, you could just make it nothing but the movie if you wanted. This is where dropping everything onto a HTPC becomes really beneficial.

• Moderators

Damon said........... My car does not remind me that 12 points will suspsend my license before it will let me drive.

Did you see what MADD wants to do, put breath test machines in all new vehicles, and everybody would have to take a breath test to start your own car.

I am against drinking and driving but that's a little extreme , in every new car.

The reason illegal is in quotes is because so far these copyright infringement cases have been civil cases, not criminal.

Exactly

And for what it's worth, I believe there have even been cases brought to and thrown out of the criminal courts...

As far as the stupid FBI crap - apart from the time investment there's nothing stopping you from ripping your own DVD's off the original DVD's. Heck, you could just make it nothing but the movie if you wanted. This is where dropping everything onto a HTPC becomes really beneficial.

uhh the millenium act makes it grey area.......

Damon said........... My car does not remind me that 12 points will suspsend my license before it will let me drive.

damn in nj its only 6!!!

Did you see what MADD wants to do, put breath test machines in all new vehicles, and everybody would have to take a breath test to start your own car.

I am against drinking and driving but that's a little extreme , in every new car.

and you know what is funny people are pretty creative. I remember a person that had that in her car that was an alcoholic still turned the car on because she made her son blow into it.... they had an accident unfortunately.