Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Sept. 25

thebes

Thanks for filling in Grog. Just back from wonderful weather in

Nags Head, relaxed and ready to get back to the grind. Before I

do though, maybe I'll just crank up the music a little bit one more

time.

Format's simple: Name of artist or group, name of album, type of music

as best you can (rock, blues etc.), and recording format (cd, lp etc.)

The Nighthawks, "Side Pocket Shot", blues baby, lp

These are a DC-based, primarily local band of old style bar-room blues

breakers. They still fill clubs up and down the Coast probably 20

or 30 times a year and they've been doing it since the early

'70's. No apologies blues-rock, give'em a whirl.

So what do you have to share this week?

Let's go back to 1969....What a Year for Music....the Year of Woodstock...but before that there was this;

BLIND FAITH........LIVE......LONDON HYDE PARK 1969.....DVD.....

7 June 69 A sunny afternoon, Hyde Park, London......100,000 laid back English Men and Women there to see BLIND FAITH'S debut show. This is the first time they ever played in front of people, and anticipation is sky high, a SUPERGROUP of four virtuoso musicians, all stars in their own right. Eric Clapton considered a Guitar God, Ginger Baker a drummer who takes a back seat to none, Rick Grech talented Bassist, and Steve Winwood the voice of a Generation, and a pretty fair keyboard player, together on stage for the first time. Considering the time frame, this disc is pretty well filmed, the sound could be better, but I'll take it, kinda raw, but the more I watch it, that's part of it's charm.

After watching the Pulse, watching this was abit of a let down,but that was the first time. Since that time, I've watched this a couple of times, and each time come away liking it more. To see a Young Eric Clapton running up and down the fret board is just amazing. Eric is not out front leading, he stands back and plays his guitar, Steve on the other hand is right up front where he should be, leading the band through their song list. It's great to hear his voice crackle and miss a note now and then......Soulful , how else would you describe his voice? Masterful use of keyboards, Steve does it all. Ginger Baker is one of Rock's Finest Drummers, my god, is there anyone better foot pedaling double Bass Drums, I think not, what a talent, he looks so young. What can I say about Rick Grech, it's right there on the disc, foam rubber stuffed in his strings, and all. Just him and Ginger laying down the rhythm for Eric and Steve to run with. It's only 40 minutes long this set, but it's all there is, so I'll happily take it. Look at it this way, this is a Blind Faith Live album that you can watch if you like. Great Disc.....Great Group....ROCK HISTORY......Get It......

Thanks for filling in Grog. Just back from wonderful weather in Nags Head, relaxed and ready to get back to the grind.

Marty, are you serious??? I was in Nags Head (Oregon Inlet) around mile 16 all last week. From 9/16 to 9/23. Were you there the same time? If so that is too bad we did not get together. The weather was great wasn't it? Where did you stay. We had a 6 bedroom place right on the ocean. Hit some good restraunts (talked to locals for the inside scoop).

Anyway, feeling like it is a back to basics sort of week. You can't go wrong with dragging out this LP/CD/Tape any time. This was the monster album that put U2 over the top from underground hipsters to supergroup.

While the first 3 tracks might be a bit tired from radio play...Bullet The Blue Sky (track 4) remains my favorite and always a test track for system changes. The opening drums are a sure indication if you have things right. Tracks 5-11 are a little less known, but do not disapoint. Honestly, every cut is a gem.

U2 - The Joshua Tree (Rock) - 1987 - Island Records...nice to see they kept with that label.

B000001FS3.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The Joshua Tree and War are must have U-2, the cream of the crop in my view, if your really into them, DVD's Rattle and Hum, and Live at Slane Castle are also must haves, Rattle and Hum's "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" is the Greatest version of that song ever, sung in a church, with a choir, send chills down your spine............

Thanks for filling in

Grog. Just back from wonderful weather in Nags Head, relaxed and

ready to get back to the grind.

Marty, are you serious??? I was in Nags Head (Oregon Inlet) around

mile 16 all last week. From 9/16 to 9/23. Were you there the same time?

If so that is too bad we did not get together. The weather was great

wasn't it? Where did you stay. We had a 6 bedroom place right on the

ocean. Hit some good restraunts (talked to locals for the inside scoop).

Anyway, feeling like it is a back to basics sort of week. You can't

go wrong with dragging out this LP/CD/Tape any time. This was the

monster album that put U2 over the top from underground hipsters to

supergroup.

While the first 3 tracks might be a bit tired from radio

play...Bullet The Blue Sky (track 4) remains my favorite and always a

test track for system changes. The opening drums are a sure indication

if you have things right. Tracks 5-11 are a little less known, but do

not disapoint. Honestly, every cut is a gem.

U2 - The Joshua Tree (Rock) - 1987 - Island Records...nice to see they kept with that label.

B000001FS3.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

That's funny I was at MP 13 on the Sound side, great way to go by the

way. You have the sound for sunsets and 5 minutes to the

beach for daytime fun. That is except for rip-tides (story

yet to be written but should make good reading).

Too bad. I could've brought the Heresy's instead of my Promedia's!

Too bad. I could've brought the Heresy's instead of my Promedia's!

That is too bad. I would have loved to meet you for a drink or 3 [:D]

I took my SI amp and 250GB HDD with all my music on it...hooked up to some old Boston Acoustics. The Heresies would have been welcomed. I was just thinking of them the other day as I am starting work on the garage soon. You going to Gary's on the 14th?

Actual Miles: Henley's Greatest Hits - Don Henley

Posted Image

# Audio CD (November 20, 1995)

# Original Release Date: November 20, 1995

1. Dirty Laundry

2. The Boys Of Summer

3. All She Wants To Do Is Dance

4. Not Enough Love In The World

5. Sunset Grill

6. The End Of The Innocence

7. The Last Worthless Evening

8. New York Minute

9. I Will Not Go Quietly

10. The Heart Of The Matter

11. The Garden Of Allah

12. You Don't Know Me At All

13. Everybody Knows

Greg's pick(s): Track #1 Dirty Laundry and Track #3 - All She Wants To Do Is Dance.

Greg likes them both!

If you love 80's rock then Don Henley will take you back to that time and place.

Don Henley Official site(s)

http://www.wbr.com/donhenley/

http://www.donhenley.com/

Don Henley - From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Henley

Donald Hugh Henley (born July 22, 1947 in Gilmer, Texas) is an American rock musician who is the drummer and one of the lead singers and songwriters of the band The Eagles. He has since had a successful solo career and has played a founding role in several environmental and political causes.

Peter Frampton- Fingerprints

Cd

I believe it's more an instrumental album. I heard quite a few tunes off of rock line while they interviewed Peter. Some great jams on there with Warren Haynes being one of my favorites. Peter and the Pearl Jam fellas ( -Vedder) redo Black Hole Sun. That sounded great and it was an instrumental with Pete doing the talk box in parts of the tune. I believed he saved it mainly for that tune. I haven't bought it, but from what I heard I wouldn't mind owning it. I thought I would share this even though I didn't purchase it.