Problem with Synergy F1

kubimaat

I have a stupid problem with my Synergy F1. At about 60% of volume the speakers give a popping sound and the receiver turns down the volume. Is that clipping ? I have a receiver with 85 Watt per channel and the F1 have 100 W RSM. The interesting thing is that this only happens when I play CD. When I listen to MTV (from the digital sat receiver) the same problem only occurs at about 80 % of volume. thanks a lot for your help !!

it sounds like either clipping or your receiver has run out of gas...you may be damaging your speakers...it isn't just the power but the quality of that power...hopefully the ones here who REALLY know how to explain this will pipe up...sorry to hear about your problem...

Bill

• Moderators

80 % of 85 wpc

100 wpc on the back of the speaker is clean wpc, clipping could damage the speaker at 20 wpc if clipping or distorting.

What kind of receiver or amp you talking about ?

That should be very loud, something wrong.

I'm half deaf and I couldn't take that kind of volume.

Sorry for answering so late but in a different time zone in Europe.

Connections are:

Audio: coax (DVD / amp), optical (sat / dvd), 2x 1.5 qmm cables, no bi- wiring/amping

Equipment:

Rec: Yamaha RV-450, 6 x 85 W @ 8ohm. Any recommnedations which amp fits the F1 well? (this ones too small and its not a god one anyways.)

DVD: Samsung HD 850

Sat: Topfield 4000 PVR

Thanks for your answers and help, I have no idea what to do. How to find out if I have a short somewhere ? The volume is indeed loud, but not such that one (I) could not listen to it anymore w/o becoming deaf.... With this kind of setup I should be able to

thanks again !

ps: my computer went crazy, sorry for the unintended other notes...

I believe it is your reciever. YOu are running out of power. If all of your connections are good, you are clipping and bottoming your speakers. This is very unhealthy for the speakers. Buy as much power as you can afford, or keep the volume turned down to a point where you don't have the problem. Good Luck!

You cannot easily judge what % of total rated power you are demanding from your receiver at any given time. A setting of about 2/3 on old analog style rotary volume knob is actually about 100% of the clean power most receivers have to give. Every model is different and none of the volume scales are reliable and, even more important, you cannot turn ANY up to 100%. That's WAY past the clean power limit.

then there is the signal characteristics to consider. MTV on your sat receiver is highly compressed so the peaks are lower and the resulting power demand is low. Your CD player has higher crest factor (peak to average volume) so peaks on CD demand LOTS more power. So 60% on CD could be asking for more power than you have while 80% on Sat receiver could still be clean.

Buy lots more power or much more sensitive speakers or live within the volume limits of your current system.