Awesome projector review - Panasonic AX100

Tom Adams

Man, that is a great review. Anyone want to buy my AE700? Used projector prices have to be about like computers. My 700 must be worth $50 or less.[;)]

Seriously, I can't believe it can get much better. I was looking at $10-30K Runco projectors when I stumbled upon the 700 a couple of years ago. For 1/5th to 1/10th the price it was a total no-brainer.

I would love to see a side by side comparison between a 700/900 and this new gem.

Of note in the AX100 is a built in lamp filter. Much like what many AE500/700/900 owners do at the lens.

If 500/700/900 users haven't tried this it is worth the $50 or so to experiment with it. It helps get rid of the blue/blacks of the unit.

I can't wait to see the AE1000 in action.....

Shawn

This latest incarnation of Panasonic's HT projector further bolsters my theory about buying at a price point versus buying based soley on features.

Since we ALL know that the features & performance of today's $8K projectors will be in $2K projectors in 2 years, why would one buy an $8K projector today other than to have bragging rights? Especially since we all know how we are when it comes to upgrading gear. That is to say, none of us are ever satisfied with a piece of video gear for more than 3 years.

Additionally, I've seen a $7K DLP projector shot onto a $2K Stewart screen and I'm here to tell you that it wasn't any where near worth the $6000 difference between my setup (AE900U & Carada) and the DLP setup.

I seriously don't know how a retail store manages to talk a customer into a $10K projector nowadays unless they never show them projectors like the Pany or the Sony.

Tom

"I seriously don't know how a retail store manages to talk a customer

into a $10K projector nowadays unless they never show them projectors

like the Pany or the Sony"

Bingo, Tom. They don't even stock them. I never could find the low-price units to demo when I was shopping except for a few at Fry's in a miserable set-up.

I am ordering one for my HT this month, with a Draper fixed frame matt white screen, 106". The installation flexibility is amazing, I can do 106" with an 18' throw dist.

Have you looked at Carada screens? They will quickly send you samples. Great company to work with. Best screens I have seen at any price.

I am ordering one for my HT this month, with a Draper fixed frame matt white screen, 106". The installation flexibility is amazing, I can do 106" with an 18' throw dist.

Have you looked at Carada screens? They will quickly send you samples. Great company to work with. Best screens I have seen at any price.

I agree. And although I'm prejudice 'cause I own one, the A/V company that helped me with my HT project isn't since they carry Draper, VuTec, Stewart, and Da-Lite. The guys from the shop said that the Carada was every bit as good as the brands they carried from both a build quality to image quality perspective (they tweaked the Pany for me). And in my mind, that one heck of an endorsement seeings how these guys are use to doing $30K+ home theaters.

Here's an example of the level of detail Carada gives to their product. Look closely at how the aluminun extrusion places a gentle bit of pressure on the screen in order to seal it. NO ONE does this and I can tell you for a fact it creates an absolutely stunning finished look.

Criterion Series Projection Screen Engineering Drawing

Seriously Damon....hope you're reading this and give Carada some serious consideration. If you have any questions, please get a hold of me.

Tom

I saw this projector too!

I am about ready to buy a new lamp for my infocus so I dropped a few hints to my wife that I may just take the money for a lamp and buy a new projector...

Arrg..

I was shot down in flames[:'(]

Well I'll get the new lamp and then when that one goes it will be time to replace the infocus.

I have had no complaints about my 4805 it produces a very nice picture especially with HD content and when I upscale dvd's to 720 or 1080i the pic is pretty dang good.

But I really want a new one[:$]

scooter