MP3's as source material

NetMagi

I find it interesting that many CD's that are released today, especially top 40/rock/pop etc. have a very MP3ish compressed sound to them. The music is mixed to sound decent on a MP3 player, and they figure that 95% of people don't have music systems that will actually differentiate the sound quality of an uncompressed vs. compressed audio sample, and they recognize that that same group of people listen to most of their music through cheap earbud headphones.

I work with teenagers at my church, and I love to have them rave about how great their ipods sound. I invite them to my pad and ask them if they think they will hear a difference between the ipod sound and the sound from a CD or better yet a DVD-A...

Most of them say they won't hear a difference. All but the deafest (is that a word...) of them are shocked how bad the ipod sounds in comparison to uncompressed CD.

hey Duke - do ya have a low setting on DBpoweramp to go with 320 top? - does it rip OGG nice from CD? what DAC/soundcard do ya use for VBR? - or are you spinning CD/vbr-mp3 off Jolida CD player?

I find I am not happy below, say 260.........

why do you want OGG, anyways ... FLAC's the way to go......

I use an Echo Darla sound card, and by the way, Jolida likes burned CD's just fine....

whatcha doin' with this stuff anyway's, FreddyI ...

you ain't no Teenager, nomo......[:D]

I work with teenagers at my church, and I love to have them rave about how great their ipods sound. I invite them to my pad and ask them if they think they will hear a difference between the ipod sound and the sound from a CD or better yet a DVD-A...

Most of them say they won't hear a difference. All but the deafest (is that a word...) of them are shocked how bad the ipod sounds in comparison to uncompressed CD.

That's awesome. I wish I could experience a 'demonstration' like that. Sometimes I suspect I may be in that 'deafest' category, though I don't want to be. Though...it would be a lot cheaper if I could just be happy with a boombox...[:P]

• Like 1

I just realized this might prove to be a good alternative...

I just bought a Yamaha CDR-HD1300. It has an 80gb hard drive, and, as I understand it, you can store music on the HD in various formats, including lossless (which is the way I'll go). 80gb isn't much, especially if you are going with lossless, but I've read that it's a snap to replace the HD with a larger one, so I'll likely be doing that shortly.

I should be getting it here within a few days...I can't wait! I paid just over $200 for it, and I personally know of two audio stores selling demo units for right at $500, loaded with music, so you can find them for a pretty good price. Actually, they're selling the MCX-1000, which acts a wireless server, but can be used exaclty like the CDR-HD1300/1500.

• Like 1

320 vBR MP3s and FLAC was the way to go. ....

. CDs now seem soooooo 1987 [;)]

Seem's Rich has a good handle on it .....

music's gonna sound great thru some LSI's... Rich.....[:)]

Hmmm looks like my C becam a v. [*-)]

FYI anyone interested in the application that lets you rip multiple formats with one program is called Mareo http://www.webearce.com.ar/ it is free. I used it with EAC. As well as making different type of files it can also be configured to make different bit rates of MP3s like I eluded to in my first post. That way you can make one size for the house, another for the car and a third for your phone.

Duke, as for the LSI are your referring to my post about bringing some LSs back from the dead for my garage? I wish they were LSIs...but if this happens they will be plain old birch La Scalas. Too many variables still up in the air on those to get excited about them.

Yea, I wanted those...but glad you got them. Was not so much being short on the money as it was "audio buying capitol" with the Mrs. I have been on an extended buying binge for the last 2 years or so...hmmm, about a long ago as I found this place give or take.

Give me a yell if you decide to get rid of them. [:D]