Help Buying Recording Software

tidmack

ART USB Phono Plus:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-USB-Phono-Plus?sku=180642

Audacity is a wonderful free program - though it doesn't allow realtime VST plugins (unless I'm missing something).

I've used Nero in the past when working in the studio and it has one of the best built-in noise reduction algorithms out there. It really works wonders on restoring old crappy audio cassettes so I can't imagine it not working on LP's. However, that's all I would use Nero for....once noise was removed we would transfer back to CuBase for extra processing. It's record feature was annoying at best - but probably because of all the other hardware we were running.

Btw, if you use a VST hardware device for your ripping, then it will bypass the kmixer built into windows that forces the 48kHz sampling rate. Ideally you want to sample in at the sample your file CD wil be or a multiple higher.

First, I'd recommend you *not* transfer the vinyl. It's time-consuming. Better to just play the vinyl itself. If your turntable isn't the greatest, invest in a better one. You don't want to make your transfers using a cheapie turntable anyway.

But if you must transfer, I recommend SoundForge.

Dang Paul, this looks like good stuff. I'm gonna read a little more about. I'd been using CDex because it's free, but this stuff looks pretty darn good. Thank yee.