need opinions for what amp to buy for RF-7's

NetMagi

I think I'm ready to spend some cash on an amp for my new RF-7's.

I love the sound of these speakers, but as I previously mentioned, they sound constrained on my 45wpc h/k AVR5 receiver.

I'm really not sure what I want to spend. . . or if I should consider 'used' or not.

I guess I'd buy used from a fellow forum member with a good rep, but I don't think I'd buy from eBay. I've heard way too many horror stories of internally damaged equip, etc.

I could use my AVR5 as a preamp (it has preamp outputs) if I get something that's not integrated, or I could probably just use my PC as the preamp. . (I use my computer with an external DAC as the source for my 2-ch listening)

What would you guys recommend buying, and realistically how much do i *NEED* to spend. I like to listen LOUD, and I listen to everything from jazz vocals to dance/trance with gobs of bass. I also want something reliable. I don't want a 'project amp' that needs constant fiddling or service.

I'd like to spend $500ish or less, but if that's not a reasonable amount to spend, I'd consider more.

help!

-Rich

NetMagi

I would add an amp of at least 200 watts. You like it loud & the 7's really open up with lots of good clean wattage with some headroom. You can pick one up at Audiogon or you might consider a pro amp such as QSC or Crown. I use a QSC plx-2402 & the sound is wonderful.

Musicians friend usually has great prices.

I'd bypass just getting an amp and get the Outla Audio retro receiver for 6 bills plus freight. That would probably last me until I'm totally deaf, and I can listen to my el pees too! NP - Blindside

cool suggestion I would buy something like that for my first stereo reciever.

well, the emitter is definetely out of my price range, and I really like the look of the outlaw retro, but I'm afraid I might quickly outgrow the 100wpc

What about the 200w monoblocks from outlaw?

or the amps from crown or QSC? does anyone else own one of those that could chime in

at this point I'm cash in hand and really wanna get something :P

-rich

• Like 1

wow. . just spent about 20 mins reading old posts on QSC's here . . .

seems like they have a healthy following and come in cheap enough that I could buy new.

What models should I be looking at? Are all the PLX models good?

How do they compare to the crown K-series?

At this point I'm pretty much sold on either a K-series crown (used) or something brand new in the QSC PLX line.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

-Rich

• Like 1

This thread has peaked my intrest in QSC amps now; it may be an awsome bang for the buck.

Netmagi, I checked eBay last night and found a few QSC PLX amps on there for what I am assuming reasonable prices with ungodly watt ratings! Thanks for starting this thread!

Joe

Joe,

If from your equipment profile you are going from adcom amplification ( and that goes for any adcom amplification ) to QSC PLX or SRA series amplification. Be prepared to have your mind blown!!!!!

NetMagi,

I believe the PLX2 series to be basically the same just a little better specs and a little newer look.