Possible Cornwall? project

jk6827

I am looking for some help and advice on possibly building "Cornwall type" speakers.

Bear with me on this, i'm new to DIY projects.

I have a lot of questions, and I have a mix of parts sitting around.

Heres a list of what I have:

2 K-77's

2 15" JBL'S D130-F, D-140F 8ohm

2 E type networks

2 Altec 808-8A drivers w/o horns 8ohm

The 1 JBL needs a recone, kids..got love em.

Questions:

I was wondering if this combination would be feasible in a cornwall size box.

Should I scrap the idea of using the Altec for some K-55's, if I can find some.

Should I use MDF or wood for the box.

Can the E type networks be converted to one that would work with this combination.

Does anyone have specs on how to build a Cornwall box. Also I have seen 2 different versions, side mounted tweeter and mid vs. top, what is the difference.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

What mid horn do you have in mind? That will make the most difference in you cabinet dimensions. BEC from here has a Pyle horn he uses in a 'corn-scala' type design you can look up here.

Would have to the the TS parameters on the JBL's and look them up. Surely they are somewhat different than the K33's but probably usable in a suitably tuned CW style cabinet.

You might look up some threads in the Modifications Forum. Lots of experimenting going on there.

Michael

here is a thread with most of the info you need (dimensions, crossovers, difference between b-1 and type e, etc)

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/769697.aspx

My recomendation would be to use k-77, k-55, k-33 drivers.

The type e can be modified to type b-1 pretty easy.

The k700 horn is fine (the new cornwall uses a 700hz xover), various folks have determined the k700 extends pretty low, some claim as low as 475 hz.

Where are you located?

colterphoto1

k700 show up on ebay all the time.

50 bucks a set is a fair price.

Some folks start at 100 bucks, and after re-listing, drop their prices.

The k-600 is hard to find.

I have an atlas hor that is identicl to the k-600, but it is unmarked so i can't tell you the model #.

I really had the K-55's in mind, know anyone selling some?

I would like K33's also, but have JBL's sitting around and figured I could use them for something, maybe I could save them and pair them with the Altec horns for another project.

I don't see the K33's on Ebay that much, are they still available and what do they cost?

I originally was going to build a set of Heresy's to match my others, but was looking for a little more bottom end. The Heresy's don't match my RF3's to well. So here I am.

Thanks, I would appreciate that. That Cornwall project was amazing, great job.

How much did it cost you. I recently got a tablesaw and haven't had any "projects " to do.

I am new at this, and obviously your very skilled at woodworking.

Should I have the wood cut by a lumber yard or attempt it myself? And would using wood other than Birch have a different timbre (Oak, Beech, Poplar).

Thanks, I would appreciate that. That Cornwall project was amazing, great job.

How much did it cost you. I recently got a tablesaw and haven't had any "projects " to do.

I am new at this, and obviously your very skilled at woodworking.

Should I have the wood cut by a lumber yard or attempt it myself? And would using wood other than Birch have a different timbre (Oak, Beech, Poplar).

Lumberyards will only rough cut and don't offer exact dimensions. They can cut boards near a size to make it easier to get boards home in car or truck. Another alternative is having a cabinetmaker buld them, but that is usually very expensive.

The Cornwall is a big rectilinear box...no angle cuts are necessary, although they can help make the corners look better. If you are not familiar with a table saw, by all means get some training on it before you dive in. This is in the name of safety, not just ease of use.

Your cabinets should have no timbre at all...if they do that means they are not rigid enough. I recomend a sandwich of 1/2 inch MDF and 1/2 inch hardwood plywood (your choice of veneer) as a easy to handle alternative to pure MDF. This has been discussed at great length here, but I do not think pure plywood cabinets are sufficiently non-resonant for a big empty box like the CW. (Folded horns are a different story.) Whatever material you choose, remember to compare it with a stock Cornwall's dimensions to ensure the inner volume has not been reduced by a thicker wall than the stock one...if so, the box will have to be upsized slightly to compensate.

Look through the threads here and find the Lets Build A Cornwall discussions, as well as the other construction threads and pictures.

And keep us posted please...I need to make two Cornwall cabs to replace 2 that were damaged in shipping...one of these days.

jk6827

The wood was very inexpensive. 2 1/2 sheets of 3/4 inch birch ply (11 layer) at 42 bucks a sheet.

The speaker cut outs were done free hand, some folks use jasper jigs and a router to cut the circles. About 30 bucks for the jasper jig at parts express and routers vary from 50 bucks to 100+. The square cuts can be done with a bearing assisted router bit. You make a jig using wood block stirps first, then use that jig to cut out the square cuts. You can probally get the front boards done by someone on the forum, and then turn your attention to just the main cab.

If you use dado slots and slide the wood together you could save some labor manhours used for the bracing strips.

As far as lumber yard cuts vs doing it yourself. Not sure if your lumber yard will make the reuired cuts for you. Locally, they do not do exact cuts.

Keep in mind, if you proceed on a DIY version of the Cornwall, you will be re-creating an all time classic. The sound is unique, and since it does not require corner loading as the k-horn, the cabs are very flexible.

It is certainly worth obtaining the correct parts.

Where are you located?

Thanks for all the advice. This project is going to take time due to $ and time constraints.

I will keep looking for the K55's and k33's. What's a fair price for these?

I know someone who repairs antique furniture for a living, I might give him a call for some help. He does amazing work.

I live in Upstate NY.

Bob Crites (BEC on this forum) sells the k33's for $99 each on eBay. If your JBL d130's are the 16 ohm version, then i'm sure you could sell them for at least $200 if not more to recoup some cost. I just paid more than that for a mint pair of D130's. Bob could probably be able to sell you some mid horns and possibly the k55's too. He may even give you advice on the crossover. He's a one stop shop! I'll be calling on him soon for some K33's and his CT125 tweeter for my Cornwall "Clonewall" project. I plan to build mine with a removeable motorboard so I can do some experimenting with different horns and drivers. I'll probably use t-nuts to attach the motorboard, so I don't tear up the screw strips. Good luck with your project. Lots of good advice to be had here.

Jeremy

colterphoto1

I think I saw a post in which you ordered some....did you ever get them...what are they going for?

you mean the vertical motorboards and grille blanks? Haven't heard pricing yet.

I have three empty CW boxes here, need to make at least one a vertical for me, might was well prep the others for sale.

I will be veneering 7 CW cabs when I get this barn/workshop thing figured out, so want to have new grille boards made for all of those.

Chris Munson (popbumper) is the guy who's having them done on CNC router.