Reel-to-reel activity

Heideana

Thanks Travis! He wanted either $900 or $950 for the Technics 1500US. He's got a bit more work to do on it and told me that he thought it and the Tascam 32 were pretty much neck-to-neck in terms of recording quality. On the other hand, the Technics was a bit more delicate and didn't do well if moved around alot.... The B-77 he has is a quarter-track and he's asking $550 for it (he's still working on it...).

I decided on this one, since it looked like a tank and was in good shape. I'm thinking with its' frequency response range, it'd make a good mastering rig for any studio stuff and give me a good 1/2 track machine....

There's a couple of Technics on e-bay...given the price he charges for a tuned-up machine, I'm thinking of trying my hand at getting one fairly inexpensive and working with him to rehabilitate it. That would give me a machine that plays 1/4 tracks and 1/2 tracks down the road. I'll let you know how I do with this one.

It turns out that I can't get over to Fremont...concern about me driving that far on my own with my pain meds on board...Given that your familiar with him, I feel better about getting this machine from him.

So I ended up getting this machine... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=200035695080&rd=1&rd=1

I thought at first its a high price, but on the other hand, its' ready to go, serviced and calibrated. Turns out this gentleman is right across the bay and can also provide support, etc...and I can also save on shipping. He's a recording engineer and this is his hobby. He also has a Technics 1500 and Revox B-77 that I might shift gears on when I go to see him next Sunday morning....

Hello Heideana,

Where is this guy located? I have been looking for a tech who can service reel to reels. I have an Tandberg 64 (among other reel to reels ) that I would like to have someone tune up and I havent found anyone I think is any good since Norleens on College avenue closed 20 years ago!

Josh

Ya'll tape heads (pun intended) may be interested in a little project Doc B is getting going over at his DIY community. Don't know much about the project; I am not into the tape equipment, so I can't elaborate on the details. Go to the Forum and search 'tape project'

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/bottlehead/bbs.html

http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobespc/Seduction/bottleheadtapeheadpreamp.htm

Rick

He lives in Fremont and RTR stuff is his hobby and has a day job. If you e-mail him, he responds pretty quickly and gave me his phone number so we could talk. He seems pretty knowledgable and I think Technics are his specialty.

He told me this Tascam-32 is really knew, all things considered, and has a great frequency response...next step is to work into a Technics 1/2 track with 1/4 track playback, then we'll evaluate if I'm ready to start thinking about a machine with timecode to sync. up with Pro Tools...it feels like heaven...I really like RTR!