Replacing preamp?

tom b. 57

I am entertaining the thought of replacing my Phase Linear 3000 Series II preamp with a Blueberry. I have a Carver M500 amp and am really impressed with the sound I have heard from tube gear. My dilemma is this, Is the Blueberry going to be compatible with my Carver? Am I going to hear a difference in clarity and softness in tone like I have noticed with tube systems I have heard? Is it going to be worth the the $1500.00 or so investment? Is it going to lead to the purchase of a tube amp? I know some of these questions can only be answered by my self, but I would appreciate some of your thoughts. Since some of you have owned solid state equipment and tube equipment, I value your opinions. Please give me some feedback. You guys and gals have always helped in the past. I get different perspectives and this helps me in my decision making. Now remember, I am only in the "thinking about" stage, a very dangerous stage for my impulsive and compulsive self.

Tom

Tom,

Some of your questions are pretty tough, such as regarding how this would sound compared to other tube systems you've heard.

I've been a happy Juicy Music owner using a Peach and Merlin. The JM preamps are quite versatile, IMO and they would make an excellent front end for about any power amp, SS or tube that I can imagine. There might be some folks on the forum who could tell you based on a technical understanding of impedance matching and such as to how good a match your Carver would be with the BB.

It is a fair expectation that the BB would sound better with an SS power amp than it would sound driven with an SS preamp. At the moment I am driving a Hafler power amp with a Merlin and the sound is very good.

Might you get a tube power amp later? Don't know. I know some folks who are perfectly happy with a JM preamp driving a SS power amp. It's not a bad combo at all.

Since you mention the BB, I'm supposing that you do need a phono stage.

Daddy Dee, first, let me say thank you for the horns I purchased from you a few months back. They are in great condition. I have not been able to use them in my Cornwall project yet because I keep getting sidetracked by good deals on Klipsch speakers that I find irresistable. I do have a turntable. It is an old mid 70's model JVC. I don't know the model #, since it has been in a carton stored away on a shelf for a good18 to 20 years. I do intend to eventually incorporate it into my system, When? I don't know. Thanks for the response.

Tom

Tom, search through the old threads in two channel and you may find the specific answer, or Mark may swing by and help you. At that price point, you will be very hard pressed to find a tube preamp with a phono stage that can haul the goods like a Blueberry.

If there is a problem with matching the Blueberry, I'd talk to Mark, find an appropriate new or vintage amp that suits you, and go that route. The Blueberry is a superior preamp, and is well worth hooking it up with a SS or tube amp that has good synergy.

I've run mine with Teac, Monarchy Audio, Mac, and Bryston SS amps, and have been pleased with the outcome.