Water-damaged Forte IIs, what to do for new cabinets?

killerbee_vr6

Had a water leak, and both of my Forte II cabs are warped and completely destroyed. Not as big of a deal as you would think, as I have been planning on building new and improved cabinets for some time. I want to build shorter, deeper boxes with at least 1.5" of wall thickness and extensive internal bracing. I will obviously preserve the original internal volume. Has anyone done this before? I want them to look OEM, so I will be employing a cabinet maker to do the work for me.

Wow i would love to rebuild my forte II cabs I can say i have add modeling clay to the corners.B Quiet to the walls and upgraded my crossovers and am very happy so far. Oh also put B-Quiet on your mids and tweets. Makes a huge diff!! Even the woofer basket got the B-Quiet.I love them and A and B'ed one to test and see if i upgraded or simply side stepped it

If you knock on the side of a forte you will notice the hollow sound. The box is coloring the sound as soon as i put the B-Quiet on the back of the horns I no longer heard highs out of the passive woofer.A good improvment.Then i added B-Quiet to the sides and no longer heard the(box sound)Bass is very tight(chesty).

I modded the crossover a few months ago with new caps on the mids and highs Sonicaps on the highs and clarity caps on the mids LOVED IT!!! but did not do the 110uf electrolytic on the woofer till last.So when that big honker of a cap came i worked hard to get it on the board but it fit(I will send pics soon)

As far as cabs go Tony Gee builds his with one inch MDF then adds lead sheets to 1/2 inch MDF with glue on the front panel and glues everything ,no screws

The problem is the MDF which does not like water...

If they are completely "destroyed", if you would like, break one down and send me one of them (all the pieces, minus the drivers), and I'll take a look and try to redo a cabinet from 3/4" furniture grade birch and send it back to you. No cost! You send the old one, I'll send the new one. If you like that, we can go from there. No obligation! It's a hobby and I have almost a full sheet of Russian/ Karelian furniture grade birch left from my current Heresy & Klipschorn projects.

You can call me at 863-357-1600 between 6:00 AM and 2:00 PM EST. Hobby is restoring Klipsch speakers that were otherwise headed to the dumpster...

The problem is the MDF which does not like water...

If they are completely "destroyed", if you would like, break one down and send me one of them (all the pieces, minus the drivers), and I'll take a look and try to redo a cabinet from 3/4" furniture grade birch and send it back to you. No cost! You send the old one, I'll send the new one. If you like that, we can go from there. No obligation! It's a hobby and I have almost a full sheet of Russian/ Karelian furniture grade birch left from my current Heresy & Klipschorn projects.

You can call me at 863-357-1600 between 6:00 AM and 2:00 PM EST. Hobby is restoring Klipsch speakers that were otherwise headed to the dumpster...

Sounds like a deal. If all goes well, I'll have you rebuild my Chorus IIs as well. I'll be in touch.

Let's do the Forte and see how it works (the Heresy-I's came out perfectly) Call me when you are ready to send the pieces and for for me to start "cuttin". Done got me some new saw blades and a very, very expensive miter/ chop saw....

Where are We Going (What's the Mission....):

Do exact measurments on a cabinet/ enclosure and all parts, then construct an exact set of replacement panels, braces, etc., and save the template. If we're lucky, we'll be able to build a "database", with the parts/ pieces required, odd "peculiarities", tools, etc., on these (and other) enclosures (except the Klipschorns and LaScalas which are readily available).

This is, I believe, something worth doing. Eventually, everyone who owns Heritage stuff will probably need to have the dimensions, materials list, tools required, etc. in case of damage, etc.

If anybody has dimensions on the variety of speakers, maybe we ought to post them, at least for posterity. Ideas? Suggestions?

(Heresy project is almost finished, just waiting for the final shipment of the factory spec'd laquer materials from Valspar/OPEX - Fixin' to take them thar pitchers' etc. )

Gotta run, the long boats call....