speakerfritz finally owns tubes.

Guest " "

And the other side.

Since it was made in 1989 it has toroidal power and output transformers, 1% metal film resistors, polystryrene and polypropylene capacitors, and can be switched from ultralinear mode to triode mode. List for 2 was 4000, this pair cost me 500 bucks.

post-22082-13819314209064_thumb.jpg

seti is not online. Last active: 11-09-2006, 11:42 PMseti

I have re-listened to 30 or 40 CD's over the past few weeks.

Seems like there is greater detail, wider sound stage, dynamic range seems greater, voices are the most lifelike. Instruments seem like you can reach out and grab them. I have no issues with bass and have even turned off my active sub woofer.

I'm like super impressed. It's been about 31 years since I last had a tube amp, wow have things changed.

I bought an extra assortment of tubes to try out different sound conbinations and was very surprised to find how different the various brands of even the same type of tubes sound. Played around with changes to MU tube values at various points in the signal path as well.

post-22082-1381931448794_thumb.gif

First time for owning tube amps myself (age 34) and I am sorry it took so long for me to own a pair.

I can pretty much echo all the comments that Fritz has already said.

Sadly I still have yet to hook these up to the big bad *** speakers (Chorus 2 and AR 9s) but I did dial the bias in this morning while powering a pair of old Infinity RS-1 bookshelf speakers.

Need to make a trip to Frys for some speaker wire and terminal lugs (ugh, no bananna plug recepticals).

And the other side.

Since it was made in 1989 it has toroidal power and output transformers, 1% metal film resistors, polystryrene and polypropylene capacitors, and can be switched from ultralinear mode to triode mode. List for 2 was 4000, this pair cost me 500 bucks.

Those EL34's look VERY tired.... The shinny getter's on the top of them are almost gone... Bet they would sound even BETTER with new EL34's!!!! [D]

Bill Hausmann

I was looking into options and came across some info on it. The claims were greater detail, higher resolution, tighter bass response, etc. The price was right, so I gave it a shot. i was not disappointed in the performance. There was a slight fit issue, the KT-77 fits a little loose in a socket that had an el-34 in it. My work around was ot cut a piece of black electrical tape about 1/4 by 3/4 of an inch and wrap it around the plastic center guide before putting in the tube. That gve it a sung fit.

My next round of tubes will be some euro ones that are made with lead crystal class and use a higher vacum in the tube.