Help With EV Aristocrats

mnewmanfla

Hello Everyone! I have a couple of questions about a pair of Ev Aristocrats I have sitting around. These speakers were given to me by my father, who said my grandfather built from a kit in the 1950's. My questions are this:

1. The cabinets have several scratches and marks from being moved around in the past 15 years. Should I refinish these cabinets?

2. I am considering selling these speakers, would a true audiophile prefer the original condition scratched and all, or refinished?

I still play these speakers a couple of times a year and they completely out perform both my Boston's and my Bose with ease.

Each cabinet has a SP12B, T-35, & X-36 Crossover.

Thanks for any comments that you may have.

Mike

1. The cabinets have several scratches and marks from being moved around in the past 15 years. Should I refinish these cabinets?

No.

2. I am considering selling these speakers, would a true audiophile prefer the original condition scratched and all, or refinished?

Original condition.

I still play these speakers a couple of times a year and they completely out perform both my Boston's and my Bose with ease.

Hi Mike & welcome to the forum...

If I were you, I'd re-read that line right there & do some soul searching. Add to that built by grandfather, passed to father and now passed to you... and you're still thinking on selling? [8-)]

As for the other questions, no idea, I'll let the experts chime in.

Thanks for the quick replies, The cabinets have several paint splatter marks again with lots of scratches. I would love to keep them, but I just have too many speakers at this time. I would much rather get rid of the mass produced Bose that my wife loves so much. Another person has said that I would get more for them if I parted them out.

Any comments about that?

Why not post some pictures? Do you have any idea as to what they are worth to you? I personally would not part them out, maybe someone here might like to have them. I haven't heard an aristocrat for many many years, but from what i remember i was very pleased and impressed

Ten to twenty years from now you may wish you never got rid ot them.

Ding ding ding ding!!!

Exactamundo. There is NO way I'd let them go if I were in your shoes. Then again, I'm a very sentimental type. I can sit here and say they'd be in my living room , regardless of what my wife might say. (I can say it cause the Jubs are in there, much to her chagrin)

so, MY vote if it's worth a nickel to you, keep them and cherish their legacy. Will them to your child.

After Reading some of your comments, I'm really torn about letting these go.

As you can see the cabinets look pretty rough, the speaker grills are not in the best of shape. I am considering keeping these, although I would have to consider refinishing them.

Again, Thanks for all of the comments, it's appreciated.

post-24134-13819314052848_thumb.jpg

As (and if) you are in the process of refinishing them, then as doing so, reminisce about your Grandfather and know that as you're lightly sanding/staining/other... he too was doing the same thing to the same item.

(not trying to tell you what to do, btw, obviously it's your call)

you can ALWAYS decide to sell them, you will never be able to undo a 'bad' decision though, so just be 100% sure.

As for the condition of them, they don't look all that bad. If the appearance of them is bothering you, maybe get a touch up marker and start there, before removing the original finish. As for the Bostons and Bose, they are a dime a dozen. What you have here is a diamond in the rough. Keep us posted and let us know what you decide. There are a few people here on the forums that collect EV products, if you decide to sell them, you could offer them here first. Before you do though, do some research and see what they are going for and then you would have an idea of what they are worth.

Please, Please, Please keep those. That your Grandfather made them should make them PRICELESS to you. Plus I bet they sound pretty durn great to boot. Sell anything else, put these in your man-cave, whatever it takes.

And I wouldn't be against doing a proper job of refinishing and/or modernizing the look to suit your decor (and wife).

But most of us frown on anyone 'parting out' speakers, especially ones with sentimental value.

Michael

When I look at my Mc-275, I think of the friend who found it for me in a garage in California ... the nights my dad and I spent listening to it ... when my mother asked me to fix the electronic organ in the church, and I opened it up and found a stash of KT-88s which went to heaven knows what - certainly not the organ ... the concerts it provided the sound reinforcement for ... the kid who accidentally dropped it down the stairs (grr) ... the list goes on and on.

When I look at the electronics at Best Bye, I think of Korea.

My point (and I do have one) is - keeping these speakers and refitting them, to me, is a part of cherishing a legacy that the Bose can never be a part of.

Well, what do I know - I get a warm, fuzzy feeling using my grandfather's screwdriver ...

Besides, you might find refinishing the cabinets kind of fun.

Well, after doing some soul searching and reading everyones comments.....

I have decided to keep the speakers. I have come to an agreement with the wife. I get to convert the guest room into a new media room!

I will refinish the cabinets and I will enjoy the entire process. Again, I appreciate everyones comments on the subject. I'm glad I found this forum, and I will keep everyone posted as I lurk around here.

Thanks again,

Mike

Hadn't been here in awhile. I read this thread with much anxiety. Glad the speakers are staying put. I'd give much to have something of my granfathers especially something he built. I have a lone EV Aristocrat with the SP12 woofer, T35 and X36. Fantastic sound. One day I'll get another for stereo.