Rear Surrounds

discusman

If you are using the reference series I would stick with the rs-5's or rs-7's.

------------------

My HTS:

MAINS: RF-3's

CENTER: KSC-C1(LOOKING FOR A RC-3 OR RC-3II)

REAR: SS-1's

SUB: KSW-12

TV: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

RECEIVER:KENWOOD VR-4080B

DVD: SONY S-360 DVD PLAYER

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire

Regarding surrounds, I am using the ss-1s for surrounds. I matched them to a KSF c-5 center and KSF 10.5 L and R. I am happy with them. But the question I have - Would I be able to notice a difference in the lower frequency response by upgrading the the RS3s? - I live in a condo and have no sub (unfortunately!) therefore, I run the bass signals to the main speakers. I also set the rears to small (Bass management) so that everything around 80hertz and below gets sent to the mains (sub if I had one). My conclusion was to stick with the ss-1s. Any suggestions and or comments which may support or redirect my decision will be appreciated.

Thanks

Keith

Discusman - I believe I've read elsewhere on this forum that you would want a direct radiating design for the rear center speakers (for 6.1/7.1?) rather than the WDST design of the RS/SS series. By "need to be the ones that you can hang," are you saying that you have no where to place rear center speakers on the floor? This question is only to clarify whether you could use floor stands to raise some direct radiating speakers.

Also, how far is the rear wall from your listening position?

Doug

hey doug ... thanks for the reply.

i need speakers that i can hang. My back wall (actually it's open in the middle) is about 7 feet from my couch and the RS-7 side surrounds are about a foot behind my couch and 6 feet up. Actually I tried the little, itty bitty quintets and even after giving it a 8db gain it stil was not adequate. I also read somewhere that a direct radiating speakers is recommmended which is why i did not consider another RS-?. What to do, what to do?

Anyone out there ever try to hang the RB series ... without difficulty? or maybe a pair of KLC-C7's?

Discusman,

I don't know about the RB-3, but the RB-5s are not really bracket mountable. My best friend has my old RB-5s and she bought some Omni-mounts for them (she said they were about a $100 each!), but the RB-5 is really too big to wall mount like that. They looked so ungainly, that she isn't using the Omnimounts and the RB-5s are sitting on a shelf. The shelf seems to be a *much* better option. The RB-5 also has a rear port, so you can't just hang it flat against the wall.

Ross

------------------

My System's Stuff