what do you think these LaScala splits are - splits with trim and vinly removed?

Guest " "

Ok, so here is todays pop quiz.

Are these LaScala Splits that someone removed the trim and vinyl on and stained?

Notice the white dots on the both sides of the top edge about 6 inchs apart...are these the screw holes for the metal edge trim?

look at the horn motor board...the screw heads are showing...on raw finished LaScala's the screw heads do not show.

What about the Logo's, are these correct for Industrials?

So basiclly the question is are these Klipsch produced RAW birch industrial splits or did someone remove the metal trim and vinyl and stain these?

Duke Spinner

Do you think the joints are correct? The bottom plate is caping the side plates, whereas the bottom plate normally get capped by the side plates.

Pre drilled screw holes every six inches, these may be the holes to secure the aluminum trim found in industrial LaScala's.

The screw heada re showing on the motorboard. This means there are nuts and bolts holing the horns to the motorboard. RAW cabs have screws, and they are put in from behind, so they do not show from the front.

LSI have bolts on the horns, Klipsch musta realized Touring equipment won't last long, with heavy drivers wood screwed in

the holes don't show on my laptop, yea ....sound like alum trim, maybe someone trimmed them once

i cant imagine removing the fiberglass sheets, and surely the wood would'nt be in such great shape after removal

These are the one's that I thought about getting as they are within 80 miles of me.

I just don't like their looks. I think I would be better off paying more for something more pleaseing to the eye.

Do you think I'm right in that assesment, or should I forget it and go for it. These are on their third listing on ebay.

If anyone here was interested I would step back as I don't have a "woody" for these.

Phil

PhilMays

if you are in a band, or have some other need for portable LaScala's, these would be a good deal at 500 - 600 bucks.

If you buy them, paint them black or apply some thick vinyl board to them, go down to home depot and buy about 200 bucks in aluminum trim, a metal cutting bit, some googles, thick fire resistant shop apron, and spend a day re-cutting all the trim.

You would thyem have some good road speakers.

Or

Pull the parts and put them into another set of freshly made one-piece cabs. A good cabinet maker that has some speaker building experience will probally make you some nice RAW birch cabs for 250 bucks a pair (thats what I charge in the nYC area).

You could probally get 100 - 200 bucks for the empty cabs on ebay.

The seller is a real fair person to deal with. He offered to drive them up to MD. But my needs would be to prep them to turn them over to my brother who is in a band. So they are not worth as much to me stained and bare as they would be to someone who may want them for home use.

I checked both my LSI's and HIP's. The aluminum trim is made up of cast corner pieces and strips of straight angle aluminum. If original Klipsch cast aluminum corner pieces were attached, each side would have a hole approx 1" from the corner on all three planes.

Also, on my top bins, there are only two holes per long straight section, not one every 6 inches. It looks like #8 screws, which would leave a pretty large hold when removed.

I think what you're seeing is just the filled nail holes from standard BR construction.

There was a pair of LSI split BR's still in raw form sold recently.

another tell-tale sign against the 'stripped and stained' arguement. The triangle section in the back of the bass bin would have been painted black on any factory finished LSI bin. These are still raw plywood.

These were delivered as BR types. I'm sure of it.

Duke is right about the front panels. That is the was LSI are manufactured. The motor board has to be removeable to get the horn in/out of the cabinet since it is trapezoid. And wood screws would not hold.

M