Altec A7 VOTT's for Klipsch, Torn Between Two Brands

macaltec

"Another note about low frequency extension. I would argue that a lot of music benefits from reproduction capability below 30Hz. Having a unit that only goes from 40Hz down to around 16Hz seems a bit silly (only one octave), but if you just run a stereo subwoofer configuration from 80Hz and down, you no longer have to worry about extending the low frequency response of your mains, and you achieve much much lower output - which when dialed in correctly will dramtically improve the listening experience. The crux is doing it correctly - too many people try to dial in subs and can't get it right and then conclude that subs are evil. I like to think of it as moving to a (N+1)-way speaker. (so if you've got a 2-way, think of adding stereo subs as making it a 3-way)."

Mike, I run a nice big, SVS with 2 12s for low-end extension already, and I (and others who have heard it) think I have my sub (and the 4.1 or 5.1) pretty dialed into the room. I'm just adding K-horns because the situation presented itself, and just thinking out loud in case I end up actually taking a step backwards, sound-wise, in the process.

Who knows, maybe I'll keep all Belles up front, with the Altecs in the rear - and just use the K-horn bass bins from added oomph from 30-150 hz in the room. Hmmmm..........

Carl.

• 4 weeks later...

Glad it worked out for you. I look forward to seeing what you think of the Cornwalls. Plenty of bass, and I am curious to see what you think of the K-600 horn (vs. the 511 that you have been used to).

Good luck with the Model 19 clones. As for me, I now have Klipschorns (w/Trachorns) in front, and Belles (w/Altec drivers) in rear. Nothing audibly missing from the Klipschorns to my ears in the mid-bass region.

Life is very good, in general and also audio-wise. Hope you also get there with your Corns.

Carl.

Thanks Carl. I have heard the Cornwalls since I was 5 years old. It has been a few years since the last time though. Well until a couple of hours ago anyway. The 511 horn has so much more presence but I never did get the balance I was looking for in a bass bin with it. Soon..........

Mac---No doubt that A7s are shy on bass, no doubt. One can always turn up the bass knob on the preamp if one has one.

The high end sparkle is gained by using an EQ compensation circuit such as that used in the Model 19 crossover. The 19's crossover is 75% of what's so special about it. With a compensated crossover no tweeter is needed. I think one could get some VOTs sounding tip-top by using a Model 19 type crossover (plans are easily found online) and making sure one has 802-902 type diaphragms. And turning that bass knob to the right.

Dylan---I drove up to Parts Express yesterday and bought some of those Dayton 1% caps with a view towards replacing the caps in the crossovers. However now I think I'll leave well enough alone and just build entirely new ones instead, that way I won't ruin what is already working well.

Honestly the speakers sound so good I'm just putzing around because I like to putz around.

Regards

Thanks Carl. I have heard the Cornwalls since I was 5 years old. It has been a few years since the last time though. Well until a couple of hours ago anyway. The 511 horn has so much more presence but I never did get the balance I was looking for in a bass bin with it. Soon..........

mac,

Hope you got my reply to your PM.

Can't tell from your statement, but.........Have you tried the 511's atop your CW's? Even with the stock CW Xovers, (that you would want to mod) one gets the picture. IE: K666 [;)]

Regards,

Terry

I didn't see any reply. I'm probably looking in the wrong place though. No matter. It is inevitable, I will at some point try the 511 with the Cornwalls. I just bought a couple of the Dayton cast frame 15" woofers from PE to try in the A7 cabinets and will probably move them into a nice bass reflex cabinet after the holidays. The drivers come highly recommended by a few Altec fanatics. Claims hold them to be as good or better than the 416 woofers. They sure do look impressive. It's all about the Cornwalls right now, and some holiday coming up that eats away my fun time.