Crossover updates for K-Horns

Bill Hausmann

Congratulations on the new Klipschorns!

You have been given some good advice about refreshing the caps on the crossover. This is small step. You can order the caps from Parts Express and it will only set you back $15-20. I believe Solen caps would be fine.

You will soon get advice about swapping drivers and adding elaborate crossovers, spending huge amounts on tube equipment, etc. All this can get very expensive and the price to value ratio is difficult to determine ahead of time. So let me give my other piece of advice. After you swap the caps, don't do anything. For the next several months just concentrate on making sure the cabinets are in corners and listen to them. Enjoy them. There is always time to tweak later on. But first you should get to know them. Later on if you need to tweak, then you will have a better baseline for comparison.

-Tom

Hey Tom, Tube Equipment?? Huge Amounts??? I'm lucky I have a somewhat understanding wife..... I think she's planning to use it all for our kids college fund!!

As improvements to the design were made, Klipsch advocated and encouraged their customers to incorporate them into their older models. If you're not interested in having them sound as good as they can, then sure -- stay put and do nothing.

If you plan on keeping them, then plan on changing out just about everything -- including the woofers. I think you can do the whole deal for less than $800. Work with BEC, who can source everything. Later, you can do some other things that are interesting.

Bob,

Do you build and sell "new" 500/5000 crossovers I could buy to drop into these babies?

dean,

Yes, I can build completely new K-500-5000 crossovers. Might have to have one of the old ones as an example. There were more than one version of the K-500-5000. If you were able to determine that yours are exactly like the hand drawn schematic I posted earlier, I would not need an example.

I think the picture below is probably the type you have.

Bob Crites

K-500-5000

post-9312-1381931419022_thumb.jpg

Dean,

Consider refreshing the caps in the crossover, or have Bob build you a pair of drop in replacements. If they were mine, being kind of a sentimental kind of guy, I would not change the drivers or horns out. I believe that you will enjoy these as they are, a fine pair of vintage, top of the line, loudspeakers.

Bob never ceases to amaze me with the stuff he's got lying around. The picture of those crossovers are a fine example of something that should be in the Klipsch museum.

One thing I would consider though is your room dimensions. I believe I read in the Dope From Hope papers, that with walls that long you may want to consider a center channel. I can't remember correctly the distance stated, that if your speakers exceed a given distance you'll lose the blended stereo sound. I believe it said that it would sound like music coming from two different sources. Something to think about and possibly someone else could chime in on that subject.

Anyhow ENJOY.

Hope you enjoy your new set of speakers.

I think those old networks are eyesores. The plywood on the pair I had in here was starting to separate, and the paint was plain nasty. It amazes me what some of you are willing to put back into your speakers.

Ah yes Dean, but that original paint may have had a PWK fingerprint in it. And, not everyone, when having guests over, asks for help to get the Khorn out of the corner to admire the crossover.

Bob

I'm sure PK would be impressed with the idea of letting his work deteriorate into a pile of trash because someone wanted to save his fingerprints.

I sanded and steel wooled all of the rust off the old autoformers, and then taped them off and hit them with 3 coats of clear enamel. If there were any of his fingerprints on them they are long gone -- but I honored him by restoring and preserving his work. Well, that's my take on it anyways.

It's not about the guests, but about the owner who knows what's back there -- it's callled pride of ownership. If something is special to you, then you take ownership of it and make it the best it can be.