Amp for RB5

oogins

I will be buying a pair of RB5's solely for music playback, and I would like an amp that's decent but isn't too expensive. By not too expensive I mean less than $2000 CAN ($1300 US). Some possibilities I've found are:

Bryston 3B ST 2x120 watts - $2000

Rotel RB-1080 2x200 watts - $1500

ATI AT1502 2x150 watts - $1275

These are the prices that dealers gave me when I phoned them, so I will be able to bargain them down a little.

Can you guys suggest anything else I should take a look at? Also, what are your opinions on the amps that Ive listed?

Oogins,

Dont look at anything else,these three brands are very much at the top(your price range and quality).

I am sure Mr Me Too will say OH NAY,TAKE A LOOK AT X and LISTEN TO Y AND Z. This will begin what I call the mixup process,this is a evil mastermind plot to mix the buyer up so much he or she does not know where to start. Its EVIL

I would get the Bryston.Best qyality amp here.And bass drive the Rotel or ATI dont have.

My second choice...ATI(tells it like it is)and close is Rotel(a bit "voiced" to sound nice,some like this).

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Okay, I've been looking around and I've come up with two more possibilities.

2x Marantz MA700 Monoblocks 200 watts - $1250

Mondial Acurus A200 2x200 watts - $950

Are these amps comparable to the three I listed above? The reason I ask is because I can't audition them. All the dealers I've talked to say they don't have them in stock, but they can order them. But they won't order them unless I'm committed to buying. So I would like to know if these are worth considering.

Oogins - I'm sure you've seen all the Acurus A200's (and others) on Ebay and Ubid, since Klipsch has discontinued that line. If you go that route, you might find a great deal there, if they will ship to Canada. BTW, the MSRP is $1100 in case that means anything against the others you are looking at.

Can't give you any comparative feedback, though.

Doug

------------------

My System

Yeah, that's why I'm considering the A200. Because they are discontinued the dealer reduced the price significantly. Their original price was $1700, which is about $1100 US.

But now that I think about, I'm not going to get it. The dealer won't let me audition it before I buy.

However, I did find a dealer that carries the Marantz MA700 Monoblocks. And to top it off, they are a Klipsch dealer as well, so I can test the Monoblocks using the RB5's. Smile.gif

I love my Rotel five channel power amp which I use with my KLF20s, C-7 and S-6s, but it was only about $950 new.

I'm sure that all the amps you list are excellent, but am just wondering if the RB5s need such power? And they seem a bit pricey for a US$800 speaker.

I think I'd go with tubes, like maybe CJ, if I were to pay that kind of money to drive the RB5s (which, BTW, I think are phenomenal speakers).

Good luck in your choices!

Yeah, I'm also considering the price ratio for the speakers and the amp. It does seem a little overboard to buy an amp that's twice the cost of the speakers (i.e. Bryston). But then again, I'm buying a Denon 2802 for my Quintets, and the price ratio for the speakers to receiver there is about 1:3. When I audition the amps I guess I'll decide if the performance is worth the money.

First, since you are paying in Canadian dollars I would seriously consider Canadian products before any other country's wares. Any purchase outside of Canada will sap your wallet like a Mike Tyson punch.

Since I like the sound that horns make when powered by tubes, I would look at the small crop of low cost tube integrated amps, for which ASL and Jolida come to mind. Check out the Antique Sound Lab MG-SI15DT Single Ended Integrated Tube Amplifier at:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_1/antique-sound-lab-15dt-tube-amp-1-2001.html.

The editor said "But, view it this way. The 15DT is an entry level tube product, at an entry level price, but is Class A and single-ended, which are two characteristics that tubophiles love. It's a bargain."

------------------

Cornwalls & Klipsch subs; leather couch & feet up; lights out & tubes glowing!

Thanks for the tip Colin. I know that Bryston is Canadian, but it's also is the most expensive amp I'm looking at right now. Which makes me wonder, how much would a 3B ST sell for in the States?

I've heard good things about tube amps, but they seem rather high-end to me. I'm currently not interested in them. Maybe when I get some better speakers I take another look at them.

You might also look for a great deal on an Aragon 8008st or 8008bb. Both are discontinued and will be in the price range. Great amps. Sorry for the plug.

The Bryston 3B ST hasn't gone up. You paid $1400 US, that's about $2250 CAN.

BTW, I've decided the 3B ST is too expensive, so I'm looking at the 2B LP instead. I figure I dont need that much power for my room (11.5'x10.75'x7.75'). Plus, reviews are saying the 2B LP has the same sound quality as the 3B, and it's more suited for bookshelf speakers and smaller rooms.

This message has been edited by oogins on 12-05-2001 at 12:19 PM