Article: Lansing Heritage - Shearer Horn

picky

I ran across this very interesting article about the Lansing Shearer Horn, which was used behind motion picture screens. I wanted to share it with those of you whom might be interested. There are other links on the page (Click on "Up") to some extremely interesting information about Lansing, Altec and JBL.

Link: http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/lmco/shearer.htm

Main Site: http://www.audioheritage.org/intro.htm

Sorry, if someone has posted this before.

-Glenn

post-10177-13819314224472_thumb.jpg

The Hartsfield Is a nice sounding horn speaker system.....The Paragon has some problems...only the 375/horn mid driver reflects off the curved panel. 500hz to 7000hz... Le15, Bass end cutoff is about 45hz.....The top end tweeter above 7000hz is the 075 & will burn off your eyebrows.....

The Hartsfield is a BIG speaker with a very nice top-end and so-so bottom. Overall, it has a very polite, "classic" sound to it but then, I heard it with a 60's unmodified Fisher SS receiver and a Dual TT so..."grain of salt" & all.

Classic Audio Reproductions makes/made an updated version of the Hartsfield (pic below) that sounded much better but then, it was paired with Wavac amps and a SOTA TT so it would be an unfair comparison. Still, the CAR is a gorgeous speaker with quality drivers and horns that I feel is a better match with modern audio gear.

The Paragon and its smaller sibling, the Minigon make great collectors' items but aren't very practical in modern systems. Its a stereo speaker that tries very hard to sound like mono. I suppose it would sound fine in a very small room at low volume but its a bit expensive for a bedroom speaker. Just my opinion, of course.

-

-

-

-

-

-

post-3360-13819314228602_thumb.jpg