My LCD Vs. Plasma Dilema

Timber

Plasma for dark\intimate viewing with dark surroundings...lcd looks great in the daytime with light reflection absorbed, where as plasma reflects off somewhat with a reflection of Bob Barker and the Prices is Right....[;)].

But as someone stated..."ANGLE VIEW"...which looks better from the side at 3ft wide by 7ft back...and on the couch watchin Sunday football and hockey...plasma IMO....traded in my 53" RPTV with 30 days of purchase and back to tube, owning the Toshiba 34HF81C...[;)]

Panasonic has a nice 50" plasma within reason....

my 42 inch panasonic plasma has been running maintenence free since 2001. great picture. has been moved problem free about 6 times or so. i wouldent even consider another brand, especially seeing my ex-fatherinlaw's 50 inch LG hd set he paid 5k for loose a row of pixels 2 weeks in.

I like my Panasonic 42" just fine, but no matter what we say today, next year it will be something else new and improved....the consumer is always being asked to accept new forms of equipment, it never stops...another newest, and Best scam, designed to get your money, I think they call it Business.................

After looking at several flat panel sets today, the Panasonic Plasma TH-37PX60U was clearly the overall winner with digital satellite service (HD and "non" HD channels). But risk of burn in damage from Playstation 3, high watt usage, and screen glare give me second thoughts about buying. This TV is on sale now for $1197.99 at my local big chain store. Would you buy?

I see that my 37 inch 720 line HP LCD is now down to $1100 on the B&C ad at the back of NYT science section. T

It may be that this is the end of the product cycle for 720 line LCDs in general and 1020 line units will come on line for Christmas in step with Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

So you could pick up a bargain.

In any purchase, you should look at inputs, tuners, etc. Those may make any unit more or less useful to you.

Gil

After looking at several flat panel sets today, the Panasonic Plasma TH-37PX60U was clearly the overall winner with digital satellite service (HD and "non" HD channels). But risk of burn in damage from Playstation 3, high watt usage, and screen glare give me second thoughts about buying. This TV is on sale now for $1197.99 at my local big chain store. Would you buy?

Dunno. never priced a 37, and havent been paying much attention to the mrkt. all i know is that I would have done it again. just been a trouble free set. i dont even know if its the best option out there right now. I dont play many video games, and when you have a flat panel, you just get in a habit not to leave still images on for extended time periods. plus most new games, even on pause, go to some animation, or a game trailer, or something. wouldent stop me from buying any set.

good luck.

If you're set at 42" , then 720p will be fine. If you're going bigger, esp. over 50", then 1080p is the way to go. If you have wide angle viewing then plasma is the hot set up. I have a 42" panny plasma and light reflection is no worse than my old CRT was. I would think twice about plasma ONLY if you have bright uncontrollable light beaming into the room; otherwise I do not find it a problem.

I purchased the 37"PANASONIC PLASMA because it had the best picture quality in store and it was on sale $1197.99. Standerd Cable TV looks surprisingly good and DVD's look awsome with simple S Video cable. Glare is not a problem at all!

Will picture be better using HDMI cable from HDMI DVD player? I cannot imagine.

Correction:

Consumer Reports stated that "Sony and Hitachi" stoped making plasma TV's for the home consumer. Panasonic is still going strong in the plasma market.

My local Walmart was selling the new model 42" Panasonic Plasma TH-42PX6U for $1294.99, they sold out quick.

hd set?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5131708

WOW thats cheap! Thanks for the link!