Furniture for a Narrow HT Room

Chris Robinson

Well, we're pretty much done with the woodworking for our newly renovated family room off the kitchen. The room is about 25' long and 14' wide at its narrowest point, which happens to be in the center of the room and directly opposite the fire place which sits along the long left wall (when facing the TV). See photos ...

Our problem is that we've got an old (but comfy) clunker of a couch that needs replacing, and it literally bisects the room. We're trying to come up with a seating plan that will accomodate four but won't block the view of either the fireplace or TV and the sound from the speakers.

Has anybody solved a similar arrangement problem with some cool approach? Sectionals might do the trick but I think 7' long across the back of the sofa would be about max, allowing for 3' or so on each side to walk around the sofa.

Thanks for any thoughts on this .

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Chris,

That's a very nice looking room you've got there. I'm assuming that you wouldn't want to go with traditional theater seats there, although they'd certainly be functional. They're available for about $40 each, plus cupholders/endcaps/shipping.

For a multi-purpose room like yours, and to please the whole family, you might consider theater recliner chairs like the Berkelines. Are you open to that route?

Ross

------------------

My System's Stuff

Ross, thanks, yeah, I'm open to anything .... I would like to look at the Berkelines ... got a URL for them?

I keep thinking that there's a "duh!" solution to this, but I can't put my finger on it yet ... Was just thinking that 360-swivel chairs would be an option where we could face each other in a conversation setting or face the TV for movies. Just trying to find the right angle on this.

Thanks for your input!

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Chris,

Sorry for the short reply earlier. Just as I started typing, I heard "Ross, Ross, where are you now... dinner's ready... are you up on that computer again?" Anyway, I had to run...

I also see I misspelled Berkline in my rush. Here's a link to their theater recliner series to see what they look like. They also have a series chairs with built in storage areas in the arms and cupholders. Go the Berkline site, go to the Reclining chairs series and look under "Functional." There's also a guy on AVS Forum who's selling some extra 3-chair units in this thread.

Keep us posted on what you find out there!

Ross

------------------

My System's Stuff

Wife and I went over to Jordan's Furniture in Natick, MA; for those of you who live outside of New England, Jordan's is kind of like "Furniture Store Goes to Disneyland" ... Great place to pop the toddler into a Little Yellow Taxi stroller and cruise through all their thematic storefronts (bed lab is called "The All Tucked Inn" ... you get the drift).

After hours of reviewing all kinds of sectionals, sofas, love seats, chairs, chair-and-a-half's, we finally went the traditional route of loveseat plus a comfy chair and ottoman. Sometimes the best plan is the simplest plan.

Thanks for your input on this brief thread.

------------------

---------------------

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Jim, you're great! Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

As far as the decorating is concerned, well, that's the wifey's department. The family room was the last room on the list. I bought the house in '94 and have been remodeling from one end to the other since. We're done -- and totally exhausted.

Happy Holidays to the Poster King.

------------------

---------------------

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

• 1 month later...

I don't know if you have the cash but I would suggest a 42"-50" plasma screen TV mounted on the wall over the fireplace, and place the speakers on each side of the fireplace along with your components. That way you can get one of those DVD's that show a fake fire as if you had a fireplace, and then you can make a real fire in your fireplace and have another fire raging on your plasma screen TV.

My dad just bought a place with a similar layout and I think that's the route he decided to go with. I think you can probably get a panasonic for under $4,000. The 42"-50" are more in the $8,000-$18,000 that I have seen.

With this setup you may have room for the couch and the swivel lounge chairs.

This has been my 2 cents.

User Name

"Wherever you go, there you are."