Which sub would you choose?

33klfan

I've been looking at subs lately. I read about hsu vs. svs. It sounds like both are pretty decent. For svs, the cylinders seem to be cheaper for more bass. The 16-46 goes down to 16hz which is crazy low. Any of the pci series are affordable. For the box series, the 10-nsd or 12-nsd. All of these can go pretty low with around the same rms wattage. That sb12-plus has a high end amp section to it with all the connections, gold binding posts and with balanced in and outs.With my 10.5'x11.5' room these subs might be too much, but i would think you wouldn't have to set the gain as high so it should be fine.

For hsu it would be either of the vtf series. The stf-3 would be alright but i like the options on the vtf series better.

All of these subs seem solid and well made. All the prices are around the same. I'm just not sure which one would be better. I want one that will be able to move to a bigger room in the future. I mainly listen to music so i want a good two channel sub. I also want one that goes deeeeep for movies. Both seem to offer controlled and deep bass. HSU has a heck of a warranty for the woofer that is, 7 years. Price point is around $500 to $700. I like the shipping cost for the cylinders more than boxes. I like box style because i'm use to that but i'll go sound over looks anyday. Hope you can help. Thanks.

If you go with an SVS I'd suggest the 20-39. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my 16-46, but it was designed with not quite as much total SPL output as the 20-39.

The way SVS explains it is the 16-46 is mainly for movies and music with tons of LFE, the 20-39 is mainly for music that has more 30-50Hz bass.

For music the VTF3 HO beats a sub in the same price range from SVS! Yes you got that right.

You have to go SVS Ultra(TV12 equipped) sub to best the VTF3 HO slightly.

And ask those who heard both,the VTF3 HO gets the nod more often then not.

Velodyne's HGS/DD series are more refined,the issue here is lesser ultimate output down deep(sealed in smallish cabinets)and PRICE.

I am testing my JL Audio f113 today,in the morning.This sub should go toe to toe with my HGS18 and Aerial SW12.Built quality is absolutly impressive,the woofer...the most capable unit found on any compact sub.Almost 4" peak to peak travel! Beat this plus JL Audio's reputation in the sub world.Will give my impressions around 12:00AM.

That vtf-3 mkII would do well for movies too wouldn't it? I do want the nod towards music though but i want the sub to pound for movies too. That vtf used to be $1000, now it's $700. Seems like a good buy. Velodyne seems to be way out of my price range. Is that jl audio just the sub itself? Did you build a cabinet for it or something? Thanks.

The VTF3 HO would do good for movies! It will do GREAT for movies,music and anything you throw at it.

Lets cut to the chase here...

Best sub around $1000 is the VTF3 HO a superb ported sub

Best sub around $3000 is the JL Audio f113 a superb,high tech sealed mini monster

I tested compared too many subs and can say with no doubt the VTF3 HO is an absolute bargain.

I am preparing the larger room to post pics of my GIANT(19 subs!!!) wall of subs.These will include the HO and Axiom 600! Among others.All fine tuned to work in well,will take me a few days to find the best possible position for each to perform.Lots of moving around.

OT in my small room where I have 11 subs along the front wall,it took me two full days just to finish it,like I want it.Major back pain material

Where is the bass,the bass just went north and lives at my place. [:D]

That vtf3 HO is different than the vtf3 mkII that i am talking about. Is the HO the one with the huge two ports connect to the subwoofer below? Do they even make that HO any more and it said it retailed for $2500? I just wanted to make sure we're on the same page. I think i'm talking about a different sub than you are.