Final cry for help - Match my H3's with a powered sub.

Clarence

Posting here for lack of response in 2 channel:

I have Heresy 3's and a KSW 12 sub that flat out sucks. (no offense jordan!)

I listen to classic rock, but do have house party's once and awhile and the ladies like da bass. (I secretly do to)

My listening room is large, cathedral ceilings and such.

I drive my Heresy's with 150wpc NAD power currently.

I REALLY would like a remote, but it's not a deal killer.

I have been looking at an SVS ultra 2, or twin sub 12's. I havent heard either. I would consider other SVS subs if yall think the ultra2 is overkill. This will only be used for music, I run a seperate HT.

Budget is as cheap as possible, but I will pay for quality. I dont want to have upgradeitis with my sub again.

Thanks!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you get the THX Ultra 2, you will never want for more bass. It's the most musical sub I've ever heard!

What is overkill in reference to bass anyway? Ask The EAR!

but is there a better bang for the buck match? something with a remote? between that $700 and $1900 spread, without spending the BIG BUCKS for the ultra 2? I'm so confused...."""???

The SVS subs are known for going very deep, but many do not consider them necessarily "musical," which to some means they are not "fast" or don't have a lot of "punch." (I use the quotations because there is subjectivity in what those terms mean). Klipsch subs seem to have the punch, which may be what you want with music, especially in a party mode where the bass is likely to be jacked up far beyond a balanced level anyway.

Here is a thread of mine from a while back which asked for sub suggestions:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/736822.aspx

Clarence,

Yes I know the KSW subs flat out SUCK watermelons.

I also know very well the KSW series compare poorly to Klipsch new sub series.They sound great compared to Sony's WM40.

In the price range you are looking the RT-12d would be a great sub,

The HSU VTF3 HO would be an astounding choice for one grand.SVS Ultra series,another top dog sub.

This will get me laughed at.......take a look at JBL....I run a JBL with my H2's, does a good job, not the best, not the worst, affordable solid performer....Sub Woofers can become a money pit too....how much Bass do you really need??????????

LOL

Not,seriously JBL makes some capable subs,it is just Klipsch new subs best tem in measured as well a svery audible performance.

weird...posted here several hours ago and it's gone...anyway...

I have had great "synergy" with an Outlaw Audio LFM-1 sub and Heresys for HT and music (when I listen to music in SS nowadays)...Outlaw LFM-1 is big (Hsu) but they have a smaller LFM-2...I have heard it with Klipsch Synergy F-3s and it was nice.

Bill

But when is enough enough? How much Bass does one really need? I know it's a personal taste thing..............When I listen to Eric Clapton, I want to hear his Guitar, not some Bass thumping away making it hard to hear Eric running the frets.....I find for my H2's just enough Bass so you wonder if I use a sub works for me, and that doesn't require a huge cash outlay to get............Movies require more than music.......but, I listen to music more than watch movies.............

Eric Claption plays the same tune over and over,to see him on stage is a prime example of BORING but good performance.

Now I await the flames,beware I live near a fire station. [:P]

Clarence,

Yes the KSW series are so mucical,Bose sounds almost acceptable! I would understand why KSW owners feeling insecure bash Bose. IT SUCKS WATERMELONS N PUMPKINS dry.

get rid of this horror device and enter like me(the poor Ear)into a world of sonic excellence and hear what you missed with the KSW.

To be fair I had a KSW12 and 15! [:$][:$] Yes double shame on me. And was proud,until the day I heard Velodyne and the then new Klipsch RSW subs.Oh damn what a drastic change.To the people who say subs sound the same,get some hearing aids you deaflings.

So yes ,you will apreciate a quality sub,know the small Klipsch RSW10d will amaze you ,it is a mile better and no boomy bass.defined and clean.

Eric Claption plays the same tune over and over,to see him on stage is a prime example of BORING but good performance.

Now I await the flames,beware I live near a fire station. [:P]

Clarence,

Yes the KSW series are so mucical,Bose sounds almost acceptable! I would understand why KSW owners feeling insecure bash Bose. IT SUCKS WATERMELONS N PUMPKINS dry.

get rid of this horror device and enter like me(the poor Ear)into a world of sonic excellence and hear what you missed with the KSW.

To be fair I had a KSW12 and 15! [:$][:$] Yes double shame on me. And was proud,until the day I heard Velodyne and the then new Klipsch RSW subs.Oh damn what a drastic change.To the people who say subs sound the same,get some hearing aids you deaflings.

So yes ,you will apreciate a quality sub,know the small Klipsch RSW10d will amaze you ,it is a mile better and no boomy bass.defined and clean.

Oh my God, you have had your mind destroyed by too much BASS...........Such a comment warrants me leaving this thread.................Why don't you get equipment that doesn't need a sub..................Jubilee's maybe.........Good Night guys.................

Jubilee's too bass shy,too weak. Too poor stroke on the woofer,magnetic structure too wimpy. [:P]

I keep my Dyanaudio Contour S5.4 any day over some fridge size device. [:P]

Clapton bores me and many who like guitar,he is a very skilled player,but acts like he was playing at a funeral! [:P]

Now three [:P] warrant the same fate Saddam will get.

Jubilee's too bass shy,too weak. Too poor stroke on the woofer,magnetic structure too wimpy. [:P]

I keep my Dyanaudio Contour S5.4 any day over some fridge size device. [:P]

Clapton bores me and many who like guitar,he is a very skilled player,but acts like he was playing at a funeral! [:P]

Now three [:P] warrant the same fate Saddam will get.

Be nice Guy....opinions is what makes the world interesting...if you are lumping in Eric Clapton with Saddam, you have a problem...this will pass in time....I am not, and will not engage such a conversation......I in no way have disrespected you or your equipment, and will not....I ask questions to gain some knowledge, not degrade, or make fun of you or your equipment. You are at a completely different level of envolvement in this Audio thing than I am. Your equipment reflects that fact....I ask questions from guys like you, because of that fact.....not inspite of it..............GEE

Clarence - Might I suggest another option?? And this is based solely upon you wanting something that can rock (which I assume also means you're not looking for a sub that will dig waaaay deep) and you're also trying to get serious bang for the buck.

What about a Dayton Titanic 15 from Parts Express?? http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-764

Although I've not heard one personally, there's been a couple of folk here that have had them and report no real disappointment. It's not much money to spend, so if it gets beat up at a party, so what??

Tom