Gollehon Compression Drivers Needed For 8191 Horn

ka7niq

I bought a pair of old Gollehon PA's off Ebay cheap, as is.

The woofers are fine, however there are NO drivers on the Gollehon8191 Horns!

Geez, anyone know where someone MIGHT find a pair ?

The diapraghms are availiable, but w.o drivers I am screwed ...

I only paid 50 bucks for them, and the woofers gotta be worth that.

DANG, I used to have a pair of those. 2x15's in a straight horn cabinet (kinda like Yamaha) and a BIG bi-radial horn also similar to Yamaha's. 450 number comes to mind??

Dont' know about Gollehon drivers, but you should be able to find something to work with those horns. Post pix of the mounting type if you can.

Michael

I haven't got into the boxes, YET!

But I will ...

Yes, these are the ones, saw em on Ebay, and I am local

Heard good things about the wooden Gollehon 8191 Horn!

Picked em up, fired em up, NO highs ....

Pulled a horn, and voila, no driver!

I can get diapraghms, useless w/o drivers!

The woofers are playing, and seem quick, and punchy, but do not go deep.

A ficking shame, I bet these wouild sound good if working with some subs, like my Big SVS Ultra's ?

The place I bought them is a junk joint, but SAID they worked ?

Of course, sold as is.

The wooden horns alone and the woofer should be worth 50 bucks, huh ?

I don't want to just slap some driver on the 8191 horns, I wanna hear em as they were, a sound from another day.

I listen for the soul of old stuff, you KNOW what I mean, I am sure ?

Duke Spinner is our Altec guru, he'd know if they were worth anything. It's likely the cabinet that's hampering the low end, but remember these were designed for output for live shows, not HT.

Those horns are WOOD, very cool. I'm sure we can find some driver to fit on there economically so you can at least give a listen. Finding the originals might be quite a daunting task.

Also look to see if there are passive crossovers, some of the numbers off the caps might give clues as to where they are intended to crossover. My guess is about 800 or so.

M

are there still xovers in those cabs? - do you have spl meter and pink-noise disc? 421 rock in Karlson and leave k33E pretty far behind in that app. 421 = fine driver and I like em as much or more than 416. maybe somthing not too expensive like Selenium 210ti could do 1200 ok (?)

ka7niq-

A number of years ago I picked up a pair of Gollehon ESL400's (La Scala clones) on the cheap as well. And yes, wood horns too!! Anyway, they came with a pair of 1" Gollehon drivers. If you're willing to pay to for the shipping they are yours.

John

P.S. The Gollehons that I have heard in the past sound really, REALLY good!!

ka7niq-

A number of years ago I picked up a pair of Gollehon ESL400's (La Scala clones) on the cheap as well. And yes, wood horns too!! Anyway, they came with a pair of 1" Gollehon drivers. If you're willing to pay to for the shipping they are yours.

John

P.S. The Gollehons that I have heard in the past sound really, REALLY good!!

Thanks John!

I sent you a PM

Sure, I could gut the old Gollehons, and rob them of their Altec 421A woofers and wooden horns ?

But, I just GOTTA hear these old speakers, to listen for the design tradeoffs and type of sound John Gollehon was trying for.

I was suprised to find an Altec 421A in there ?

Though I have never used this woofer, some like it a lot, and consider it the basis for an entry level horn system.

I THINK that is where I am heading John, having owned several pair of K Horns, Foerte's, and CF 4's.

I currently have a set of 78 Cornwalls, and some CF 3's.

"I was suprised to find an Altec 421A in there ?"

Didn't come that way. You've got some good parts for trading stock, if nothing else.

These are OLD Gollehons Dennis, and I was SURE shocked to see an Altec 421 A in there.

Not that I even knew what it was, LOL

FreddY likes them, and so do some others apparently from threads I have read.

The little Gollehon horns are wood, pity someone swiped the drivers ....

I only paid 50 bucks for them, and the 421A's gotta be worth that, and maybe someday I will use the Horns, or at least find them a good home.

I did get a PM from someone who said he has some Gollehon drivers IF I pay shipping.

I am waiting for him to get back to me.

Check your PM Dennis

Chris

It's likely the cabinet that's hampering the low end, but remember these were designed for output for live shows, not HT.

Altec 421 a

99dB @ 1watt, Fr = 40 hz ..drops like a rock at 70 hz, about 15 db down at 35 hz ...

the 421 is a sound reinforcement woof, tho there is non-linear response, and stiff suspension

It's likely the cabinet that's hampering the low end, but remember these were designed for output for live shows, not HT.

Altec 421 a

99dB @ 1watt, Fr = 40 hz ..drops like a rock at 70 hz, about 15 db down at 35 hz ...

the 421 is a sound reinforcement woof, tho there is non-linear response, and stiff suspension

Well, Freddy likes em, and the price was right ....

Not really concerned with a woofers ultimate bass capability, have some SVS Ultra subs, and lots of power ....

More concerned with midrange reproduction, and Freddy syas they sound ok.

I also have some JBL 15's that came out of some Decade 315's.

The Decade 315's were a small sealed cabinet with a 15 inch woofer with NO Crossovwer inductor on it.

JBL simply let it run up, and placed a cap on the midrange.

Suprisingly enough, the JBL 15 woofer is 99 db efficient, and actually sounded pretty good too in the mids.

It is a paper cone, of course, a white one, like the old JBL's.

These are the woofers I currently have right now.

I will probably build a box around either one, and it MAY be the JBL instead of the Altec too.

I am just a bit concerned since I have no way to measure the JBL parameters WHAT will happen when it gets put in a large box ?

The Decade 315 it came out of is about 2.5 cu ft, and a sealed box.

Yes, it is not a cast frame woofer, but it has a JBL white paper cone, and is very efficient, possibly more then the Altec 421A.

I have listened to it, and it is very Organic sounding.

In the JBL Decade 315 speaker, it simply runs up and rolls off, no inductor!

That means it has a smooth roll off, and goes out past 1K.

I mentioned it has a WHITE cone right ?

This may be of some importance to me, but I can't tell you why right now Duke.

You will understand when I explain though, and I will in about a week.

421 IIRC (?) has ~zero overhang but is seems good to about 1/8" peak - at least in a Karlson box and 1/8" if not going low in Karlson can punch a bit. dunno if reflex can control cone as well - have seen M151 in 50hz tuned reflex travel 3X that of 50hz tuned K15. K15 will add midrange artifacts and mellow things.

love to hear those Gollehon wood horns.- are they available?