Another 5AR4 went on one of the VRD's...

Mike Lindsey

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch! And what do you get to listen to while down?

Larry

Nothing... because my DVD/CD player (Panasonic RP91) died about 2 months ago. Regardless, I still haven't played a CD since I got the Thorens TD-124. LOL However, that's about to change. I just bought a Denon 2900, which should be here by next weekend.

Mike

Get some Mullards. Expensive but virtually indestructible.

I just swapped a pair for my Sovtecs a couple days ago. I blew a fuse on one of my VRDs this morning but the Mullard is just fine.

Yeah, I had one in the Scott 299 but sold it when I sold the 299. I would probably do that, but they are even more expensive to replace than the Sovteks.

BTW, long time no hear... give me a call sometime when you get a moment.

Mike

Dean,

And how much experience do you have with either the Sovtek or the Ruby (Chinese)? Trust me it all in the luck of the draw with the modern 5AR4. To some extent this was the case back in the 60's also. Tubes fail simply as that. You they didn't sell them at every corner drug store for nothing.

Mike,

DId this tube happen to be in the amp you mentioned 3 to 4 months ago having some transformer noise?

There is no garrantee that a fuse is going to blow when a tube goes bad it depends on what part of the tube goes bad.

Craig

And your just going to let it go on like that forever .....Slightly on the careless side of things don't you think?

Well, I've been meaning to send it out to you. Now would probably be a good time to do so.... that's if you have the time to look at it. If not, let me know when you might.

By the way I don't understand how you know if the amp still has the problem if you currently have no tube to install in it? Did the 5AR4 even light up in the tube tester?

Well, after going thru the process of eliminations I know it's definitely the amp. Then when I checked the tubes in the tester, I don't recall it lighting up, and it also didn't give a reading. However, it did get hot in the tester.

What process did you use to determine that it is the amp?

Well, I have a amp switch box (courtesy of Dr Who) that I took out of the mix for starters.

1. The right amp is the bad amp

2. I started by switching the speaker wires from one amp to the other. When I did this I now had sound coming out of the right speaker and nothing out of the left. This told me it wasn't a problem with my speaker cables. I then switched back so that there was nothing coming out of the right speaker.

3. I then switched the IC's going from the BBX to the amps (R to good amp and L to bad amp) , and again the right speaker played fine when I did this. This led me to believe it was the right amp that had the problem.

4. I then checked each of the tubes on that amp and found the bad 5AR4. I then tested the 5AR4 on the left amp and it tested fine.

Mike

What process did you use to determine that it is the amp?

Well, I have a amp switch box (courtesy of Dr Who) that I took out of the mix for starters.

1. The right amp is the bad amp

2. I started by switching the speaker wires from one amp to the other. When I did this I now had sound coming out of the right speaker and nothing out of the left. This told me it wasn't a problem with my speaker cables. I then switched back so that there was nothing coming out of the right speaker.

3. I then switched the IC's going from the BBX to the amps (R to good amp and L to bad amp) , and again the right speaker played fine when I did this. This led me to believe it was the right amp that had the problem.

4. I then checked each of the tubes on that amp and found the bad 5AR4. I then tested the 5AR4 on the left amp and it tested fine.

Mike

Mike,

I wish you would just simply call me when you have issues. I believe we are talking about two completely different things here. I want to know what you have done too diagnose what was causing your amp to have this noise you mentioned months ago. Switching cables back and forth has nothing to do with diagnosing what is causing the amp to make the noise. Transformers make noises for a reason and it is never for a favorable reason 99% of the time it is a bad tube when your talking about a newer amplifier. The only other possibility would be a power supply filter cap problem. But no matter what it is should not be allowed to go on. If the motor in your car starts knocking do you not check the oil?

Craig

Hey Craig,

I apologize for the confusion. I have done nothing in regards to the transformer noise. Most of the times when I touch the transfeormer the noise goes away. Some times for the entire day. Other times it may come back hours later.

Anyway, I will not play it until I have you look at it. Let me know how you would like me to proceed.

Mike