Speaker stands?

ibanezhater

I always had my 2.2kgs on top of two wood nightstands (furniture doing double duty!), and never bothered to buy stands. I am setting up my listening room, and I plan to have 2 sets of speakers - the kgs and some new Heresy IIIs. I will NOT run them at the same time, as one forum member pointed out the sensitivity differences between the two speakers, and I don't want to ruin my 15 year old kgs!

I got a Mapleshade catalog, and their 2 inch maple speaker "stands" look interesting. On the bottom of the stands are three large brass footers (2-3 inches, I believe) for uncarpeted sources, and another large brass spiked footer to put under the speaker to rise it up at an angle, with the sharp part touching the stand. Of course, the catalog went on and on about how much of a difference these stands make - a "dramatic" difference in both bass and treble. In fact, the literature hints that these stands make such an increase in bass that a subwoofer is no longer needed.

Snake oil, as another forum member said? Does ANYONE here have these Mapleshade stands? They cost well over $300. Do any other speaker stand companies make angled stands so the speaker tilts back a bit? I experimented lifting my 2.2 kgs back a bit (jammed a few old magazines under each speaker), and it did sound nicer to my ears.

Never had a Mapleshade product but speaker location does have a tremendous impact on the sound. Their stuff is priced up there and and the spikes and wood can be purchased elsewhere IF you are trying to save a buck.

If you want to go for it, I'm sure the wood has a nice finish and the spikes are well made and have a high shine.

For what it's worth, anything that can be purchased from Mapleshade (regarding wood products, especially maple) can be purchased from Timber Nation www.timbernation.com for a lot less. Mapleshade products, good as they might be, are priced WAY out of this world.

If they don't have what you want posted on their website, give them a call, Chris is a great person to deal with and can make anything you want.

William

I always thought Mapleshade's wood stands were a little far fetched, placing the monitors so close to the floor and angled up like that. But I guess the premise is sound...PWK designed the Heresys with their tilt risers to be placed the same way on the floor. Guess Mapleshade knows what they're talkin' about.

For what it's worth, anything that can be purchased from Mapleshade (regarding wood products, especially maple) can be purchased from Timber Nation www.timbernation.com for a lot less. Mapleshade products, good as they might be, are priced WAY out of this world.

If they don't have what you want posted on their website, give them a call, Chris is a great person to deal with and can make anything you want.

I agree...I've talked to Chris last year concerning speaker risers, and he's extremely helpful. I suggest you also contact TimberNation for your speaker stand needs and support his craft; recently he lost his grown daughter to a drunk driver and has been having a rough time of it, so he needs all the support (and business) he can get!

Thanks for the reply. I visited the Timber Nation website, and his work looks solid. His audio racks look great, but are still expensive, but still cheaper than Mapleshade racks. I was thinking about faxing Chris a photo and the dimensions of the Mapleshade stands to see if he can make them and sell them cheaper than Mapleshade. Perhaps Chris could be me risers similar to what the Heresy IIIs come with, but with the brass feet attached to the bottoms of the risers.

I was also looking at some audio component stands online. I like the Salamander website, but for a small rack (solid wood, with solid wood door) they are pricey! Again, I might fax Chris the specs to see if he can do better.