Technology to Brands

Smokem

Which brands make better use of the technology.For example I was told that for Large screen projection TV's to go with Mitsubishi. What brands do better with the technology? I will be buy a new TV in the next few weeks so I was wondering which brands do better with certain technologies. What about Plasma, LCD, CRT , Rear Projection Projectors. Thanks for the help.

CRT's are being flushed away as fast as practicable. Plasma's are being redirected to the industrial sectors. That leaves LCD's, DLP's, SXRD's, and Projectors of which these models have all introduced 1080P technology. Anyway, that's what Consumers Reports says.

JJK

• Moderators

Samsung has been on the bleeding edge of DLP technology since Texas Instruments started selling their chips.

Mistubishi had some of the best quality CRT front (for computer monitors) and rear projection CRTs. RP CRT still has the best overall image quality for DvD movies when compared to any digital tech IMO.

Yep that's what think about RP CRT also and they are the cheapest. Under $1800 for 65" HD 1080I with almost any feature you could want. Toshiba

You would have to be nuts to look for something 1080P when 98% of what you can watch is not even 1080I, and it is not changing anytime soon. Buy something for now and by the time they have more programing of better quality the TV you buy today will be about worn out, and the newer technologies will be worked out a little better. IMHO

If they still make RP CRT's ?

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/product.asp?model=65h84

I just purchased a Sony LCD KDL-46XBR2 (1080P) and it totally blows away my old Sony CRT 34HS510 (720P). There is no problem with black levels, contrast, brightness, color rendition, color casts. The Tuner in the LCD is really sensitive compared to the LG tuner (3510-A) and eliminates a lot of analog noise and is much more stable and switches channels really fast. Two tv stations in my area transmit 1080i and the rest 720P and they are all "eyeball burners". The SD performance has also been improved but is still lacking. Some of the SD stuff was almost as good as the HD stuff. Most of the SD is 480i from the local stations. Analog performance is also better. I would have to say that the contrast is better in the LCD than the CRT and has more tweeking range. I compare it to a Sony trinitron set (standard) about 15 ft away from the biggy. The LCD has perfect linearity as no CRT can compete with that unless it's a 10K monitor. The resolution is 1920 and when I feed it 1440 (Sony Z-1) from the MY-HD 120 computer card it looks just great. I have not tried upconverting from a DVD movie as my players are older and have no HDMI outputs. The LCD has a diagnostic position which tells the frequency, signal to noise in db, and a signal scale of each channel. There is also an auto noise reduction position. There is absolutely no fringing caused by misconvergence. It has 9 inputs which can be labelled. As far as I am concerned CRT's are on the road to extinction and I couldn't be happier weather viewing 1080i, 1080p, 720p, 480i, or 480p.

JJK