Should I choose 5.1 or stereo with DVD playback?(2 channel system)

wuzzzer

My hk DVD player will output sound both with selecting Dolby Digital 5.1 and also 2.0 stereo on discs that give you that option. Obviously no sound is output when I select DTS due to my receiver being a 2 channel stereo receiver.

So, my question is, is there any benefit of selecting one over the other as far as sound quality? Are there different bitrates or dynamic ranges encoded on discs in DD 5.1 or 2.0 stereo?

Also, I've noticed that some of the DVD-Audio discs I've been looking at won't have a 2.0 stereo option, but they will have a 5.1 DD option. Can I assume that since on DVD-Video discs I can use the 5.1 setting and hear the sound that the same will be true on DVD-Audio discs?

If you are using a 2 channel receiver, which I think you are, I would leave it set to 2 channel, and just run stereo....................It really can't play TRUE 5.1 without the right equipment....Stereo should sound fine ...................Fake 5.1 never sounded good to me, TV's give you fake surround sound, I usually shut it off, and just use stereo setting....

You have to use the 2 channel option on your DVD player. Most DVD players have a 2 channel mix and a 5.1 channel mix option. Just delete the other channels on the DVD player setup menu so you're not losing any info on the 2 channel mix which is what you should select for playback on stereo equipment.

It's been a while since I messed with multi-channel, but here's my take...

Choose 2.0 if it is available as an option on the disc. If it is not available, be sure that you have the setup menu on the player correctly configured for only 2 mains (set to large).

My reasoning is that choosing 2.0 on the disc will play back the mix as the producers intended it to be heard in stereo. If it is available as a menu option on the disc, there is a seperate mix stored. Choosing 5.1 would leave the DVD player or receiver (whichever does your D/A) to mix it down to 2.0. Say what you will about audio professionals, but I generally trust their ears over an automated mix down process.