Shallow Heresy 1s and dampening

Guest David H

The back pannels of my Heresy's did not seal well when I got them, so I used a piece of 3mm Depron foam as a gasket, that covered the entire back surface, the difference in low end response is amazing, I did one speaker at a time for comparison, I was also considering replacing the Xover caps and wiring, and adding 1inch nylon fill.

Depron Foam is available at www.depronusa.com I dont know if this is the best way to seal this box but it sure worked good for me.

Dee:

This needs to be brief -- I'm just taking a break from school stuff.

Yes, 'we' wanted a more shallow yet efficient speaker for the downstairs system because of the proximity the right speaker is to a walkway. The difference in width between the two actually helps, but I prefer the earlier model to the II in terms of sound. The Heresy IIs are also great, but The model H seems to be more precise in terms of mid-high frequency response, and the low end tighter and less dominant. I did change the alnico tweeter (which I still have on hand) to the newer 'M' version, and the balance is better to me with the later model tweeter.

The crossover was completely rebuilt, and as mentioned above has improved (to me) with the addition of some fill and wall dampening. I plan on keeping the back unsealed for the reasons mentioned above, as well.

Erik

Erik Mandaville

I have a set of Hersey I's that sound fine. Only mod they have is some yellow foam placed on 3 sides, and some foam strip tape on the mating surface of the back access panel. The yellow foam is the yellow stuff sold as mattress pads, and the foam tape sold as window sealer.

The Hersey I cabs have leaky rear access panels as well as the front motor board. The front motorboard is stapled in place and has a small bead of glue which often does not make a good seal. I was actually able to pull one of my motorboards right off.

I just checked the depth of my 59 and 60 Model h and its just over 13" which is the same size as my 67 model H. The 80's HIp's I have are the same size as the 59. I do have a 62 pair in mahogany that are the smaller 11" ones.I thnk klipsch sold two diffrent size model h cabnets as well as two way model H's at one time.

Khorn51; You are right about 2 way Heresy's. Most of them based on the H-II cabinets were called TH-SR's. Same size cabinet, same grill, but there was a plywood "plug" were the tweeter was located. They also made TH-SR3's which looked like a TH, but had the K-77 tweeter installed. They also had a different, heavy duty, crossover installed. Had a couple pairs of 86 TH-SR3's until last year. Sounded great, but the funky black "pickup truck bedliner" finish was too much for my wife.