Regular Broadcast TV through HT ?

Hagood

HECK YEAH!

To echo other sentiments, why have a nice stereo system and not use it? 70% of my viewing is regular TV... I get much use of my Yamaha's DSP's, especially regular Pro Logic and "Sports...."

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V -5-way w/15" woofers

Center: KLF C7

Rear Surround: Polk RT f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x3; 25x2

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation connected to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

movies & sports sound excellent & even in analog thru the HT. maybe even the news if it has bomb blasts or a concert review or such.

but as to the original question, when I work outa the home office i'll have CNBC on the TV speakers only pretty much continuously. some stations like this are still in MONO. & I don't want it 2 loud for when I get on the phone. guess I call that my Squawk Box mode. thought i better explain how there could possibly be a reason for me to not fire up the HT for TV. season to tastes. cwm4.gif

otherwise yea on the HT even a lot of the commercials are great.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 12-03-2001 at 01:47 PM

Danartdis - I believe Phil is referring to TNT broadcasting in Dolby Surround (aka Dolby Pro Logic). That is done using the two stereo channels in the broadcast, with your Dolby Pro-capable receiver decoding the center/surrounds, just as it would with a 2-channel stereo signal off a VCR tape with Dolby Pro on it.

Doug

------------------

My System

Doug,

I always thought Dolby Pro Logic was just a circuitry gimmick that took 2 channel audio and through some sort of fuzzy logic determined which of the 5 outputs should receive signal at any given time. But you're saying that Pro Logic is actually encoded somehow into the broadcast or onto a tape?

prologic is a process done by a processor to any format (so mono doesn't sound 2good even w/ prologic Smile.gif). dolby surround is an encoding with actual surround (flagged) material though it's still just 2 channels with matrixing and delay.

don't know if TNT is broadcast in digital format on sat. it's in analog on my cable. still if it's broadcast in dolby surround in analog I believe you'd still get that encoding/decoding.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

most channels are broadcast in stereo, and many in stereo surround...

these formats are decoded by your receiver and sent to the appropriate channels. it's not a gimmick...

you can definitely tell which stations are broadcasting in surround vs the ones broadcasting in mono IF you have your speakers setup correctly to your receiver.

the surround channels take full advantage of the rear speakers...

in "sports" mode, especially, it sounds like you're right there at the game, with the crowd cheering all around you and the commentary coming from the center speaker.

do you have cable or satellite?

oh... by the way, to answer your question...

yes, it's a 2-channel source AFAIK, but it is encoded with ProLogic data which the receiver then decodes...

same way with VHS movies from the store... almost all of them are encoded with 2-channel information along with ProLogic data...

the only true separation of channels (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is when you go to digital...

DolbyDigital or DTS from DVD's or from HBO/Showtime or the like into a DolbyDigital satellite receiver or digital cable box...

regardless, TV most definitely sounds better thru the HT system... even a cheap Panasonic shelf system...

because your TV is not built to be an HT system -

the most power I've seen built into a TV's amp is a whopping 5 (maybe 10) whole watts per channel! Into maybe 3.5" paper cone speakers....

not optimized for sound - optimized for picture...

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V -5-way w/15" woofers

Center: KLF C7

Rear Surround: Polk RT f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x3; 25x2

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation connected to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

This message has been edited by drewzter on 12-03-2001 at 09:42 PM

u can find a lot of info at www.dolby.com ///prologic is a decoding only process. iow, it's not an encoding process. along the way it's become synon. with dolby surround, but technically they're 2 different things.

dolby says dolby surround (dolby 2.0) is an encoding process that encodes a matrixed center channel & a mono surround channel onto 2-channel program material. your

prologic decoder then decodes it as such.

when I listen to a dolby surround encoded broadcast in analog w/ the analog connection, it's a marked dif from a regular 2 channel (non-dolby surround) program that has no mono rear surround "channel" encoded. & u can get prologic decoding with either analog or digital broadcasts/connections.

in prologic decoding mode, if it's a 2-channel analog program without dolby surround encoded it tends to be pretty heavy in the front w/ no surround sound. if it's mono or doesn't have a lot of stereo effects then most sound will come outa the center (prologic decodes the mono material from the L & R channels to produce the center). when u switch to stereo mode then u should get pretty much equal sound from all the speakers.

i think almost all digital broadcasts are at least dolby surround. but even w/ regular 2 channel material, the digital connection still takes it to your

receiver decoder & dsp. but if there's no surround material encoded, you probably still won't get much out of the surround speakers in prologic mode. you should if u switch to stereo mode.

also as drew pointed out, for sat or cable tv, to get true dolby digital 5.1 (ac-3) with a DD 5.1 broadcast, you have to have a digital connection to of course a dolby digital (5.1, ac-3) decoder.

that's the way I understand it - iow, it's pretty much up to the program material and encoding that's broadcast. all that for the simple conclusion that for

use w/ the prologic decoder, dolby surround encoded broadcasts sound best if you're looking for effects. Smile.gif

I agree that for entertainment the TV sounds best thru the HT regardless. even if all the sound's in the center or just the fronts, it still sounds better than the tv speakers. Smile.gif

------------------ My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 12-04-2001 at 02:36 AM

• 9 years later...