Damping The Rear Chamber Of My Compression Drivers ?

ka7niq

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never had any problems at AK.

But, like I said before, there are a bunch of Michiganders on there.

I let it be known I was originally born, and raised in Detroit.

I have some reviews posted there, and I slammed both the Onkyo M 504 amp, and the God Awful JBL L 7's.

This caused a slight "ruckus", but they let it slide.

It DID take me forever to get approved for that site, I guess the head honcho was on vacation ?

I like old stuff Duke, and so do many there.

I ....LIKE my L-7's......

with the K-2 ... fantastic ....

Oops!

The JBL L 7 was one of my biggest disappointments in Audio Duke!

I wrote a bunch of reviews while I was at Audio Web.

Short, and to the point type.

I will put on my Fire Suit, and post a link to them http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65249&highlight=reviews+ka7niq

Sorry, but you will have to wade through them to "get at" the L 7 review.

Have your Nitroglycerin nearby ...

L-7 needs carefull set up ..by the JBL book

nobody ever read the manual

mine are GREAT ...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am glad you are happy with your pair ?

Maybe I just got a bad pair, but I swear they were god awful.

Ever heard an ElectroVoice Interface D Duke ?

The k-55-v's has a small amount of felt material inside the octagon hole that passes thru the magnet....this hole is on the rear side of the diaphram....the amount of felt is about the size of a circle...half and inch, by one quarter inch....it plugs the hole up pretty good...not sure if adding anymore would add any value.

On some of the square magnet k-77's there is a small flat piece of felt about the size and thickness of a dime, behind the the diaphram...attached to the magnet....looks a lot like the adhesive door stops and sliders that home depot sells. I don't think increasing the thickness of this one...would add any value.

It would be pretty difficult to open up a k-77 driver to add this felt plug with out damaging the leads to the coil.

In the cas of the k-55-v's, disaasembly is pretty easy as long as you ensure that the 2 guide pins line up and are evenly spaced during re-assembly.

Overall, I would not expect much in return for any time you spend on this.

From left to right...a k-55-v with felt out of the center hole, a k-77-m with small piece of felt in center magnet area, a st-350 with a bare magnet, and a K-79 with a bare magnet.

I see!

[.

Ever heard an ElectroVoice Interface D Duke ?

Yes ...onenna the first speakers with Active EQ, other than ....[+o(] 901's ...

I owned a pair, and wish I would have NEVER sold them!

3 feet out from a back wall, using all tubes, they were almost shockingly 3 Dimensional, and powerful.

Music sounded like music, and they could rock.

Of any speaker I have ever owned, these were the one I got the most compliments from my Non Audiophile friends about.

I find it "interesting" that EV in it;s high end domestic speaker did NOT use a horn midrange.

Don Keele, who was at EV at the time of the Interface D, uses B&W 801's!

Even Roy Delgado in the CF series used dynamic drivers for midrange duties ?

COULD it be that both Roy AND Don Keele know it is hard to get good midrange out of a Horn ?

I head some Zingali Horns, and was very impressed.

Now, the Western Electric horns were awesome in the mids, but HUGE!

and Duke Spinner is Duke Spinner, at least I THINK he is.

Not Exactly .....

itsa local inside joke

" Duke " Spinner... was a loud, flamboyant jazz band leader, and music store owner back in the '70's here in NY

And YOU are he, right ?

I can honestly say that of ALL the Internet Forums I frequent, I like this one the best, people wise.

There is TONS of knowledge here, w/o the attitude and snobbiness of some other forums.

Off the subject, I just read the thread between Al Klappinburger and Roy Delgado!

Holy Smokes!

I can see both sides or the "argument", and BOY how I wanted to jump into that thread.

Had I seen it when it was still relevant, I would have jumped in!

I would go one step farther the Al did, and tell Klipsch to hire Audiophiles who can HEAR to assist with the designs!

And, not that Klipsch designs aren't any good either.

They are, but they could be even better IF they hired audiophiles like myself, and several others who are not "Pro Klipsch" only, and are more objective and AWARE of the other fine speakers out there!

AL argued he is an expert at filter design, and Roy is an expert at Horn Design.

Being a good Dentist does NOT make one qualified to transplant Kidneys.

I really feel that ANY company using Veteran Audiophiles who have owned hundreds of great speakers like myself would have a BIG competitive advantage in the marketplace.

I can say that SOME Klipsch speakers, and some from other manufactures would have NEVER got by my ears!

Roy, in his tag like, likes to call himself a "pain", LOL

With all due respect to Roy, he don't know what a PAIN is.

A "Pain" can be best described as a fussy veteran audiophile who will make him "burn the midnight oil" UNTIL the design sounds right!

IF AL and Roy ever DID "get together" they would never have time to argue or hate each other.

They would HATE me, for I would send their respective arse's back to the chamber and computer UNTIL the design pleased me, and the other Audiophiles involved.

KLIPSCH, are you listening ?

You NEED "Beta Tester" in the field, listening to your stuff in their homes, BEFORE it ever gets to market.

Think of the marketing implications, and how much more product you will sell ?

Find a group of well known audiophiles, and send them out speakers with attached external crossovers, so they can try out different "voicing decisions".

I am sorry Klipsch, but IMHO, you should have taken Al up on his offer!

Al is a well known filter designer, and his input could ONLY have improved sales.

LOOK at all the people who have bought his crossovers, and the crossovers of others.

This means that SOMETHING is WRONG!

Listen to, and observe your customers, they feel the need to modify their speakers because they ain't right to begin with.

Swallow your "pride", and embrace those who wish to help.

A NEW Klipsch product, designed as a collaboration between Al, Klipsch, and beta tested "in the field" by several well known, VISIBLE audiophiles, will make any person want to buy THAT product.

The audiophile community will Rally because "people from their own ranks" had a SAY in the final design!

Now, Klipsch, think about this ?

IF I were a perspective customer for a NEW Klipsch product, and I visited this forum, WHAT woukd I find ?

I will tell you what I would find, a bunch of people going to heroic measures to get their speakers to sound like they wanted.

Not exactly "confidence inspiring", EH ?

do you ever reread your threads before you post?

roy delgado

ps by the way, thanks for defending me against bodcaw boy and then......proceeding to trash me.......[:D]