two K-85-K horns with physical differences -- what is up

STL

I have a compared the K-85-K horn in my KG5.5s with the K-85-K horn in my KG4.2, and although the share the same model number I see several physical differences. I was curious why -- anyone know? I also wanted to know how the differences might affect the sound (since I'm using the KG4.2 as a center to match my KG5.5s front mains).

Pic of the K-85-K driver in my KG5.5:

kg5pt5%202.jpg

Pic of the K-85-K driver in my KG4.2:

kg4pt2%202.jpg

Notice the center portion of the horn is different. Also the surface of the horn is much smoother on the KG5.5 compared to the KG4.2 (but that might be hard to see in the picture). Also the material the actual horn is made of is different among the two -- with the KG4.2 seemingly having the "better" material. Lastly, the KG4.2 had a textile dome/diaphram whereas the KG5.5 have a poly one. I already replaced that textile dome with a poly one in hopes that would help the KG4.2 horn better match the ones in my KG5.5s.

Any insight would be appreciated...

This message has been edited by STL on 12-18-2001 at 12:37 PM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The phase plug of the KG-5.5 is an improved design and is molded differently. In the KG-4.2, the center 'bullet' portion of the phase plug is glued in place while the 'ring' and 'cross hatch' portions are molded as part of the horn. In the 5.5, the entire phase plug assembly is molded as a separate part which is installed in the horn with great precision.

There is a small texture difference on the surface of the two horns. The entire line of speakers changed to the amide plastic dome moving away from the phenolic material as the amide was more consistent unit to unit.

Thanks for the input from both you guys. I suspected the sound produce would be fairly close, but I wanted someone "in the know" to confirm it.

I plan to use the K-85-K horn from the KG4.2 along with four K-1075-SV 6.5" woofers to make a almost perfectly matched center channel speaker for my KG5.5s. We finally found someone to build our custom entertainment center for a reasonable price, so very soon I will have a place to put this monster center channel. I guess I better start building it soon! 2.gif I will post pics when the unit is complete!

I also bought all the drivers from a pair of used KG4s. I plan to build new enclosures for them making them fit in my built-in bookshelves in the back of my room. They will be my surrounds. I'm torn between making the boxes in a "WDST" design or just making a regular enclosure. I'm also considering mounting the horns perpendicular to the original mounting so these surround speakers will reflect more sound (off the ceiling and hardwood floors) around behind the listener.