OMG - Does anyone have a newer Mac with OS X? "Mail" issue

meagain

I'm going out of my mind. Seems I set up Smart folders under my inbox for my various emails. I should have simply created new email (instead of 'smart'). Now the thing won't let me delete anything. Folders, etc. When I delete them, they either magically get a triangle next to them or get whited out. But I can't wipe them off. Any mac Mail people here?

Thanks Bob. I guess this is part of my problem. Even with doing that, it won't delete. I got this iMac (first time mac user) about 2 weeks ago and have been off & on in hell.

Sounds like you have a Mac. Do you use it for your business? I can't imagine. That's what I'm having a problem with. Ebay. I'm currently using google spreadsheeets which is slow as molassas. Thought I could get by without buying Office for mac. Maybe I should just buy Parallels. I had to load Bootcamp to use UPS worldship. What's up with UPS? I mean - can't they afford to hire someone to create Worldship for Mac users? Are they not big enought?

I can't even get the Entourage 'test drive' to work. Won't let me type in my passwords. Do you use "Mail" then? If so - here's a darned question for ya.....

Say one gets an Ebay related email. Like "Congrats - your item sold". What I did before is highlight the pertinent stuff to print it out. I found an app to download to allow me to do this. But! I cannot highlight the body AND the header. There's like an invisible barrier between the 2 sections. Ie; I want to highlight the subject line and some body of text. I can't. It's absolutely maddening.

Yes, I use Macs for business and everything else possible.  I keep an old PC dedicated to UPS Worldship.  

Parallels seems to work pretty good and I do have it running XP just for fun on my new Mac Pro Quad Processor machine.  You should have been offered Parallels free or almost free with your Mac purchase, at least at most places.  If not, you can download a 15 day trial of Parallels.  

I don't use any of the ebay listing software, so can't comment on that.  

If what I suggested before didn't work, I think you can delete the smart folders by just pressing <control> and clicking on the mailbox itself, then selecting delete. 

Looks like to highlight the text of the body AND part of the text of header, you have to select the body's text first, THEN the header portion (no idea why, I just tried it and it worked for me).

Edit:  I have no idea why the font size changed in the middle of this.

Bob

I use Mac X and Entourage. I have 3 mailboxes, biggest being 9 gig's, smallest about 1 gig. Only issue i had was a few months ago...If I sent you an email, it would have been time stamped an hour before I sent it....and as a result....would have been floating on the top of the recipients inbox for about an hour...even if it was read. The issue fixed itself, thru one of the auto updates.

Bob - Thanks. Seems they actually weren't smart mailboxes after all. It was just a big mess so I redid everything with the help of someone via PM. Got it cleaned up and created some rules. You have the beefy Mac. Congratulations. I have the new 24" iMac. Designed so thoughtfully. I think 'mail' might be ok for me. Not sure yet. Oh - if the email is just text, I can highlight body & header as you say by starting from the bottom. but the ebay emails with icons/etc, I can't. It's driving me nuts! Maybe I need to tweak the way I manage things.

I had Excel for my spreadsheets but had to switch to Google Spreadsheets which is irritatingly slow. I heard of Neoffice? so I need to check that out. I will try the Parallels trial. Alot cheaper than buying Office for Mac. I just hope it's easy to deal with because little cumbersome irritations add up over the course of a day, weeks, months.

I did find something sweet for listing auctions. GarageSale. A flat one time fee of $25. Designed specifically for Ebay Mac users. It's gorgeous and working very well. Worth it to me.

I also have weird issues with Firefox in that sometimes when I open a new tab, it won't let me type in the google or address bar. It ignores me. I end up opening Safari.

Speakerfritz - Entourage looks nice. A bit more bells/whistles than I need but seems to be more similar to Outlook Express which I loved. But I had problems with the trial I started today in that I couldn't type in my passwords for my accounts. It wanted them, told me I needed to type them in, but wouldn't accept typeing. I'm going to play around with it later.

This switch would have been much more enjoyable if I could have transitioned a bit slower and had my Ebay going already. There's so many features I've not even tested like the fun stuff. iphoto, dvd, etc. I don't even know how to burn a cd yet.

Congrats also on the 24 inch iMac.  My son just got one of those.  That is a spectacular monitor.  And ready right out of the box to drive a second monitor also.  I doubt I would have missed the 2 extra processors of the Mac Pro if I had decided to go with the 24 inch iMac.

Bob

Yea, I felt it was really a decent value overall. Monitor nice & bright, etc. I came from a clunker where looking at the letters was like looking through the bottom of a glass bottle. My only concern was video card replacement, but I don't do gaming so I think the stock will be ok for me. They say it's technically replaceable on this unit, but I don't think anyone's played with it yet. Someday I'll upgrade the ram but it's fine for now. I want a Macbook but.... $$$$

I'm looking forward to Leopard coming out. I want "Spaces". I hope it'll be out in January, but maybe they'll wait a chunk till Vista is fully out. IDK

Lisa,

Give Open Office a try. There is a Mac version you can get. My son uses the windows version for all his school stuff. Totally free and pretty stable too. You might find you like it. I still use an old version of MS office on one of my home computers, but I use OO on the laptop and will continue.It just keeps getting better and better.

http://www.openoffice.org/index.html

Bruce

PS The great news for the forum software is that you can insert a link in Firefox.

http://www.openoffice.org/index.html''>http://www.openoffice.org/index.html' title="Open Offiice" target="_blank" mce_href="http://www.openoffice.org/index.html">