cornwall vs rf7 ????

johnny24c

some folks here love the new RF-7's ... provided you have a really good system to pair it up with. with my modest setup at home, I compared the Chorus II's and the RF-7's and I just loved the sound of the Chorus' better so I returned the RF-7's. I know you were asking about the cornwall comparison ... well, it's definitely the most sought after speaker here - which is why I'm now looking for a pair for comparison.

I would love to hear the RF-7's when properly setup ... then perhaps I would upgrade my components.

I own neither but have heard both. I have listened to 2 pairs of Cornwalls setup in the home and the RF-7's were in the showroom. Not a fair comparison for sure, but the Cornwalls just ate up the RF-7's (imho). I'm sure I'll get some flak from the Reference crowd, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Smile.gif

A lot of it depends on the hardware used as well as room placement. The only way of solving this debate would be to find someone with both sets of speakers and A/B them using the same quality hardware (SS and tubes). If it was my choice and I had the room, it would be Cornwalls all the way...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

hey jim ... when you get your khorns, keep me in mind if you sell your cornwalls' ... thanks.

gee, the RF crowd seems quiet - they're great speakers also ... so common, let's hear some from you guys. I just like learning about the strength's of each type of klipsch speakers. thanks.

The thing is, you caint compare the 3 way mid horns to a 2 way system, thats the reason why i didnt hear them!

I had the KG5.5s on 2, and the cornwall was literally rocking the house at the same volume!

So i turned my freind on to the kg4s, and sold the 5,5s!

My best freind claims to give me $1000.00 for the set of cornwalls ill be selling, if i get the K-horns!

Id still have to hunt the k-horns down, itll be a while, there isnt many Klipsch sales here in Denver!

He want cornwalls real bad, and we caint find any, so i thought id help him out!

Im keeping the birch laquer, and will part with the birch raw!

Regards Jim

It has nothing to do with 2-way or 3-way design. You can't hear the KG-4 or KG-5.5 with cornwalls in the system is due only to the differences in efficiency (playing volume with equal input power). RF-7's are 102 dB efficient. You'd hear them no sweat. Whether you prefer the sound of the Cornwall or the RF-7 will depend on other parameters.

Big old horns are the Harley-Davidsons of the speaker world. They are big, low-powered classic large American bigger-is-better speakers, made in the Mid-west designs that sound best when played LOUD. But, they are not for everybody. They rumble where tight, European style B&Ws give a high powered bass thunk and make violin strings hum like a band of bees. The Cornwall metal tweeter horns ring with the brass notes however, something that no cone tweeter can do as well. And the mid-range horn reveals so much detail about the front-end equipment that every new owner is suddenly transformed into a try-a-little-of-this, a-little-of-that tweaking audiophile. They easily make dynamic acoustic instruments like drums, cymbals, piano and horns sound more realistic than any other type of speaker for the money.

So my only complaints about my cheap, big and old Cornwalls are they are too big for many rooms, too old for recent improvements in driver construction, so super-efficient they reveal all annoying details but those of the best front-end components, have a bounce-back from the B-2 crossover network that bites you in the 9 kHz range and so ugly that little miss sensitive ears has tried to get rid of them for years (except they were grand-fathered into the marriage and now the latest house). Yet they are so valuable, that even with front-end equipment worth ten times their cost, the walnut boxes are still not the weakest link in my audiophile chain. I have no plans to ever part with them.

------------------

Cornwalls & Klipsch subs; leather couch & feet up; lights out & tubes glowing!