TESTING RF7s

doctorcilantro

Hey all,
Reading from some posts on here I gathered some thoughts for this
question:
How would I know if my tweeters are damaged?

If it is not obvious musically will I hear some other kind of artifact?
Should I test with a test tone or test LP?

I purchased my cherry RF-7s when someone (thank you!0 in this forum
notified me that some were for sale locally in St. Petersburgh,
Florida.
The gentleman was in need of cash and I have no doubt they were his
speakers but he did say at one time he had cranked his Yamaha SS reciever all the way and they partied on Halloween down the street while the 7s blasted.

I heard mention of SS eqipment possibly damaging tweeters at high levels of playback. I have mini-mites with EH KT-88s (had to return a pair in the past for static) and sometimes here minor crackling out of one speaker, but I can't be sure yet if its the tubes because Ihaven't yet switched the tubes around in the monoblocks. The music sounds great but the more I think abou a few times I have cocked my head wondering if I am hearing some kind of static or blurring in the treble....

just wondering how I go about giving the RF7s a run through to check for problems.

thanks!

Jon aka DR. CILANTRO

Craig - You better still be making VRDs in a few years man. Hope your well and my condolences for your loss.

generally they work or they don't. If you hear a scratchy sound at higher volumes and at a specific frequency, your voice coils have probably been damaged. It is usually an unmistakable metallic scratchy or scraping sound- not 'blurring'.

Congrats on the 7's!

M

Jon,

How you been!! That Wall mount TT stand worked out great! I never got a chance to tell you thanks for the good deal. Sooooooo Thanks.

I bet you have a simple tube contact problem with your tube sockets. Try tensioning the sockets if you can't figure out how to do it shoot me a email with your phone number and I'll give you a jingle. Make sure you make it a time when you can pull one tube out and be looking down in the socket for me. We will have to figure out what type of socket QS used anyway.

Craig

I know when I blew my tweeter, it just blew (went out of action instantly) now i have learnt my lesson.

I also blew a tweeter in a centre channel a while back. It would work fine for the first few minutes of operation, then once the Vc warmed up it would sizzle and crackle its little heart out.

All in all i defianatly think you will be able to tell if you have blown your tweeter!