Reel to Reel problem...Help!

Tarheel

After installing my new La Scala hybrids Sunday I was on top of the world. Then I had to unplug the Teac X-10 to plug in a lamp to hook up the xovers. Later I decided to play a tape. I plugged the Teac back in and pushed the power button and nothing happend...no power, no vu meter lights...nothing. My reel to reel technician lives in Florida so its not conveinent to send it back except as a last resort. I called Kevin Kaask, my tech and a former trouble shooter for Dokorder, and he said it was most likely a fuse but unlike my Teac 3300S the fuse is on the inside of the case. He gave me the most direct route to the fuses and I removed them. I did not see any blown fuses. One fuse is a 250v-2a and the other two are 125v-7a. I tried different outlets in the room with the same result. I then suspected two other areas....the power cord and the power switch. I wiggled the cord and sprayed the power switch with contact cleaner....nothing changed. When I leave the office in about 15 minutes I will try to buy new fuses though they still look good.

Any suggestions appreciated. Can the fuse be bad if the filament is not broken? The power cord ends are soldered on to the power switch so changing that would be difficult for me to rule that out.

Chuck

With the unit unpluged, and the power switch in the on position, Put an ohm meter on the pins that go into the wall at the end of the power cord, you should get a reading in the area of 1 - 2 ohms.  If you do not get a reading...check the switch, and if the cord is removable...the cord again.  If you do not get a reading, there is a switch, fuse, or primary winding problem.  If you do get a reading, but the unit does not work, the issue is a fuse associated with the power supplies, or you have a switch associated with an auto off device, that is stuck in the off position.

I replaced the fuses (3) this morning. I moved the deck to another wall plug away from all other equipment. I have checked the breakers. No luck. I can buy an ohm meter to check for continuity first or replace the plug with an afer market replacement first. I called Kevin and he said to check continuity. If that is not the problem it could be the transformer. When I go home at lunch I will look for hidden fuses though the others were very visible at the top of the unit.

Thanks for the help guys.

Chuck