FF XII

damonrpayne

Is anyone else playing this game?

Very very fun. FF VII was the first FF game I played, and was one of the most entertaining games I ever bought. I also got FF IX but it was not nearly as fun. On a whim I picked upf XII and it is very much sucking me in. I have to admit I would already be done drywalling my basement were it not for this game...

One of my japanese friends at college had a copy of it when it launched there months ago. The graphics looked good for an already maxed out system; and the new fighting system scared the sh!t out of me. Although it was in Japanese, I couldnt make out if the fighting system was turn based or real time or a hybrid.

I stopped playing RPG's since I lost so much real world time that could have been spent elsewhere. Then 360 comes out, and I met Oblivion, and my 8 year vow of RPG chastity was broken.

• 2 weeks later...

Heh...I've been a die-hard Final Fantasy player since the days of the NES. My favorites have always been IV and VI... So it was without hesitation that I preordered my copy of FF-XII CE many moons ago... However I haven't had the kind of time I'd like to play it yet...it's just been sitting next to my PS2 waiting... However I have some vacation time next week!

Interesting to hear about the battle system. I was a little miffed at the dropping of the time honored ATB system...but I very much liked the improved hybrid system they used for FF-X and was hoping for a version of it on XII. Sounds like it's possibly an improvement over X. That's been one of the biggest improvements over the years is the battle systems in these games. Graphics are meh...for me. With Squenix you know it's going to have eye-popping-candy by default.

How do you like the story to it so far? From the previews I've read looks kind of mixed...

• 3 months later...

Is anyone else playing this game?

Well, I finally got around to playing this! Not much time to be playing games when the skiing was so good over the past few months (plus I finally beat that damn Dragon Quest VIII completely (finishing the bonus area and getting the alternate ending) that I was playing before hand, plus, admittedly, I did take a short diversion with Guitar Hero II as well). Kinda sad to have spent some $60 on the "collector's edition" only to have it sit on the shelf, unplayed for the past couple of months.

So for, I am impressed, that is a kick-butt game. The new battle system is certainly different than what I am used to playing in the Final Fantasy games (and I've been playing Final Fantasy since the original one came out on the NES back in '90). Those some excellent graphics, plus the story is pretty interesting thus far. Will be cool to see how it all plays out as I progress through the game. This will take me awhile to get through (especially since I don't always have time to play these games all the time),

Hopefully, I'll finish this one up in time when FF XIII comes out. That is when I'll have to seriously consider getting a PS/3.

I hear that about lamenting the special edition of the game to just sit on the shelf....I've been doing the same thing with FF-XII. From everything I've heard since I last posted on this thread, and your impression of it...it's supposed to be excellent. Right now though I'm still going Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams...which is decent...and easy to play in little bits after work and such... I'm getting ready to move to a new house so it will probably be a while before I get to FF-XII.

And as for the PS3....well besides FF-XIII there's only one thing you need to know GTA4. [Y]

Those two franchises make the console worth it to me (plus the incedential blu-ray player built in doesn't hurt)

The free PSN is lackluster compared to Xbox Live imho. I'm actually disappointed with it. I guess it has more to do with having been using XBL for more than a year now. My PS3 I mainly use for watching BD movies and Folding@Home right now. I'm still waiting for games that I like (MGS, DMC, Resident Evil and GOW). The best Final Fantasy I played was FFX (Final Fantasy tactics was great too! ). The surprise ending actually made me......cry. [:'(] Sadly, after playing FFX-2 which I didn't like at all, I stopped there.

Sadly, after playing FFX-2 which I didn't like at all, I stopped there.

Yeah...I'm not sure what that was. I only watched some parts while somone else played it...and well...that's not Final Fantasy or at least not IMHO.

...then again I'm an old-schooler in terms of FF games...I still think IV, VI, and VII were some of the best.