Question on how room acoustics effect Klipsch sound

Nickrh

Hi all,

I have a question regarding how room acoustic treatment effects how the Klipsch speakers sound.

A few years back when I moved into my place I bought a pair of Klipsch SF-1's and they sounded amazing to me but then I did a remodel on the room and replaced the paneling with drywall and the sound got really harsh. After trying other speakers that had the same problem to some extent, I ran into some information about acoustic treatment, Ive just treated my home theater with Auralex foam and I am considering going back to klipsch cause I really do miss the sound.

So my question is, Are Klipsch speakers considered bright (Harsh to hear to the point of geting headachs) because alot of people have bad room acoustics/untreated rooms and will the harshness go away after the room is properly treated?

I was also wondering what kind of klipsch speakers you would recommend for a room that is 16.5 feet long, 10 feet wide and 7 ft tall? The only seating is 8ft back from where the speakers will be placed so the sound doesn't need to reach the back. I would like some type of tower speaker and im using a Harmon Kardon AVR-235 receiver.

Thanks,

Nick

Well I went to a local audio/video shop earlier and auditioned the Klipsch speakers along with some other brands like B&W, We did a side by side comparison between the Klipsch RB-61 Reference Bookshelf and a comparable B&W bookshelf on a high-end denon receiver and I half to say after hearing the klipsch bookshelf then switching to the B&W model it was clear that I was going with Klipsch, The B&W sounded flat and lifeless while the klipsch had a more realistic high-end. I went with a pair of RB-61's and I couldn't be happier, No problems with bright sound so far. One cool thing about my local dealer is they have a 1 year thing where you can return any speakers or equipment you bought from them and as long as its in like new condition with all original stuff they will give you exactly the price you paid towards a new set of speakers as long as the new ones cost double the original ones but it will be great for me if I ever want to go up to some reference towers.

Very nice trade in policy! The one thing I have found about B & W is they REALLY need to be driven with a "seperates" system. The first time I heard 802's they were driven with a Denon 5803 and they sounded like crap. I came back and heard them on a seperate system driven by a 200 wpc yamaha amp and they were indeed, very sweet.

I went with Klipsch as well as I was looking at the 704's (I believe) which were about $2,800 a pair and would only come down 5% while the $2,200 RF-7's were reduced by 33% and blew away the 704's anyway.

Very nice deal you got there, enjoy!

hmmm I heard a pair of B&W 600 series (the tower speaker ones with the 2 7inch bass drivers......forget the model) with the same reviever I have at home (HK3480) and I must say running of the HK (a budget reciever) they sounded great! very detailed and easy to listen to. But they lack any real power when you want things to go loud. B&W are my second fav brand to Klipsch.........Both very different sounding speakers.