Buying Sub Woofer

cphillips

Really depends on your budget. I have found that Velodyne makes wondeful subs once you are willing to spend some money. As the owner of a Velodyne sub that retailed for roughly 500 bucks in its day, I can tell you I was not impressed. The discountinued CHT series was loud, but not very clear in the subsonic region. Their DD Series rock, but you are talking spending thousands on a subwoofer. With that said, I think Klipsch makes great subs, starting with the Sub-12, the RW-10 and 12D and any of the RSW/RT series of subs. Just for clarification, which RC and RF series do you own and what is your budget? Also what is te room size? If theEAR gets on this, I am sure he can offer some first hand advice outside of Klipsch as well, seeing as he owns more subs than most audio stores have on hand :) Anyway, just my 2 Cents...................

Going DIY will definetly yield the best bang for the buck, but I would only recommend it if you would find the whole learning and building process part of the fun. I'm not sure I would agree that the Dayton sealed kits would better the other subs being mentioned, but it all depends on how you define better. Sealed subwoofers roll off very early - and if any movies are going to be watched this is definetly not the route to go. However, the Dayton Titanic Drivers are certainly good in larger ported enclosures...(and really you don't lose any of the musicality of the sealed system if you go with a proper ported configuration).

As far as off-the-shelf items...I think you would be hardpressed to better the Sub-12 for the money. Everytime I hear one I am impressed by how inexpensive it really is. It's not really going to keep up with your RF-7's though. But I really don't think any $500 sub is going to...

You seem rather lax in your budget of $500. Might I ask what your future expectations for this system might be? While I am all for the addition of subwoofage, you might be better off holding out for a bit until you can afford to spend slightly more. Will you be happy with the cheaper subwoofer for the next 5 years, or would saving for a few more months allow you to enjoy the sub for much longer? Audio is one of those things that you never get your money back from a purchase, so I always try to encourage people to think about the long term and make purchases only towards their final end goals. Granted, final end goals are always going to be changing, but there's not much we can do about that [;)]

Welcome to the forum! [Y]

I would like to go the off-the-shelf route. I would probably enjoy the learning experiance but I'll leave it to the pro's [:)]

I am shooting for a medium grade HT.

The budget is a set number based on what I want to spend. I could go out and spend 4k on a sub tomorrow but it wouldn't be what I was looking for.

Maybe I should have re-worded my question to whats the best bang for $500ish bucks

One day when I get to the house I wish to retire in..... Then we can talk final goal [:)]

I'm still learning the whole HT scene and I'm still mixed up on most of it... but I do know I want Klipsch speakers!! [:D]

Thanks Again!

Well Sub-12 is best bang for the buck, but you might be able to swing an RW-12d for $500 at the right dealer. I like the idea of a front-firing sub more than a down-firing one and the RW will match the decor of your RF-7's better.

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, but svsound.com has some subwoofers in that price range as well. But being a klipsch board I'm sure you'll understand when I recommend to stick with the Klipsch [;)]

Do you want deep and accurate (for music) or lots of mid-bass punch for parties and movies?

Check out the differences between the SVS tubes and the Klipsch:

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_4/subwoofers-12-2001.html

then consider a unit like this:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0604/psbsubsonic5i.htm

I hate the svs pb-10. Not enough power. A good thing to check, at least for me, is the dB rating. I bought the svs and the sub-12 and I would pick the sub-12 any day over it. As for the rw-12 it's a lot like the sub-12 in sound, at least that's what I called from someone, but for 519 that would be a really nice price. A sub-12 can be had from ebay for about $350. I like the rw-12 as far as looks goes, but for "bang for your buck" you can't beat a sub-12 (obtained from ebay of course). I was also looking at the dayton kits, but they're sealed so they don't produce the dB (decibles) for my taste.

It's great when everything rattles in my room.