Anyone own the RF-83's and paired them with the RB-75's?

Catharsis147

Hey guys,

I own two pairs of the Rb-75's for front and side duty and a pair of RB-35's for my rears. I am interested in possibly purchasing the RF-83's to (almost) complete my speaker purchasing for this lifetime (Both me and my wallet can only pray this statement is true). I was going to buy another pair of cherry Rb-75's, but they seemed to have disappeared from ebay and audiogon.

Anyway, so the RF-83's seem like a great floorstander. Any thoughts on how they would sound with the RB-75's? I ask this because I already own the RC-7 and can definitley tell the difference between it and the RB-75s (which to me sound better).

The purchase wont be until maybe February or March, but I figured I would get some insight from you guys. I know my subwoofage is the weakest link in my system, but the thought of floorstanders in my house is just calling me........................

Depends on how your going to incorporate the RB75's with the RF'83's, I'm assuming the RF are the mains. The 75's are WAY more open than the 83's, at least to me. Of course see if you can demo them out. Like many have said, the new line takes out to top bite that the 7's series had so its smoother and not as blaring aka relaxed presentation thought not bad at all.

Save some money and grab some RF7's, you know you want them [:P]

Hi Catharsis,

I own two pairs of RB-75's. One pair as mains in my Bedroom HT and the other pair as rear surrounds listed below. One day I switched out my Rf-7's and replaced them with my downstairs RB-75's...I have heard it discussed on this forum that with a decent sub the RB-75's could contend with the RF-7's--Not to my ears. With the RB-75's it appeared the sound was coming from speakers. It still sounded good, but with the RF-7's my front soundstage is seamless.[8][Y]

Don't get me wrong; My Bedroom HT sounds AWESOME compared to most HT's but imo, the RF-7's take music and HT to another level. I also heard the RF-83 a month ago and they sounded nice (I didn't get to spend a lot of time listening) but I don't have the urge to change my front array. That being said, I have considered them for side surrounds when and if I can find a good deal on them locally. [H]

Interesting TDK, I am glad to have an opinion on the RF-7's versus the RB-75's from an owner of the two pairs of speakers. I know this wasnt my direct question, but it is certainly related:

Were the speakers placed in the exact same position? My RB-75's are deadened with sand in the pillars of my speakr stands, which I think helped in terms of imaging. The sound never comes directly from my RB's; it sounds like the performers are just THERE. Then again, my stands with shot in them weigh close to 50 lbs by themselves.

But again, I have NOT heard the RF-7's, so I cannot make an accuarte comparison the way you seemed to do. The thing is, the RF-7s in cherry are being sold on ebay at roughly the same price (or higher in some cases) than what my dealer will sell me RF-83's for, so that is why I asked. But Thanks for the advice!! Maybe I will start looking for RF-7s after all----besides, it would be nice to macth the 1.75" tweeter all around :)

Jay, YOU BETCHA!!! Did I tell you that Myron lives two doors down from me now?!?!?! Ha Ha Ha!!! Life is too ironic!!

You want the best match for the RC7,go with RF7's.I have two pairs of RF7's(front and back) and an RC7 as center.I am more than happy for HT use,they are immensly capable speakers and transition is seamless.Plus the impact of dual 10" drivers astounding when driven by a potent power amp. I know I will not change the RF7's for anything Klipsch has in the Rference lineup,unless they decide to release the Premiere line [;)]

• 3 months later...

Update:

After much internal debate, I have pulled the trigger on a pair of RF-7's in cherry. Saved a buttload of money on them versus the RF-83's after all. El Lopez, and all of you, thanks for the advice. As of tommorrow my home theater will TRULY be -7 series throughout. Too bad my audio fetish surpasses my video, as I was looking originally at updating the old 27" CRT TV (DAMN YOU KLIPSCH!!) I think I will watch one of the Lord of The Rings movies to start the break in tommorrow night [:D]

Update:

After much internal debate, I have pulled the trigger on a pair of RF-7's in cherry. Saved a buttload of money on them versus the RF-83's after all. El Lopez, and all of you, thanks for the advice. As of tommorrow my home theater will TRULY be -7 series throughout. Too bad my audio fetish surpasses my video, as I was looking originally at updating the old 27" CRT TV (DAMN YOU KLIPSCH!!) I think I will watch one of the Lord of The Rings movies to start the break in tommorrow night [:D]

no rf-83? where did you get the rf-7?

Yeah, I JUST switched the signature line! I was immersed in the sonic nirvana that are my new towers. Wholly crap was I missing something, even with my RB-75's. These towers simply rock, no question.

Jay:

I got them new in the box on ebay (wwstereo). They sold them for less than $1200.00 and I simply could not refuse. If only j and r had them still! Anyway, these babies matched my RC-7 perfectly so I decided to just stick with that reference series than switch to the RF-83's (it hleps that I got those -7's for about $400.00 less than Myron coulda swung for the -83's too [:)])

Now get another pair of 7's for the rears :P Thats my plan, but alas no money or space right now.... maybe for Christmas. Prices should drop a little more then.

I am surprised so many new RF-7's are still around--Klipsch has 16 pairs in their e-bay store for $1,000. I wonder if there are any in Cherry still around for that price.[^o)]

El,

I doubt I will get another pair. I live in a brownstone and getting those things up two flights of steep, narrow staircases was an experience I will never repeat. Besides, I think the Rb-75's are more than capable as surrounds and rears.

TDK,

Actually, before I bought mine I e mailed the Klipsch store about cherry RF-7's, but Amy said that they only had the maple available. Maybe in a few months some cherry ones will turn up. It is funny bceause my RF-7's have a serial number that starts with -07, so maybe Klipsch has a lot of extra RF-7's hanging aoround after all...........