Where do you store your images?

Speedball

We are about to lose, if not already lost a few hundred pictures to our Kodak Easyshare program that was installed to our new computer a few months ago. The "Easyshare" program will not let us view our pictures at all!

So.......... where do you store you online digital pictures? Hoping to find something free and easy to use so we can start all over again with a really nice site. Maybe I can then download some pictures of my own to the Klipsch Forum. I believe someone mentioned "Image Shack".

Any other suggestions please?

For our images, we use a 250 gig plug-n-play, external hard drive that runs on USB 2.0 as our primarty backup. For our secondary backup, we write all of our images to DVD-ROMs. I back my digital videos up on a 600 gig external hard drive that runs on Firewire 800 and also run them onto miniDV or D-VHS videotape and DVDs.

External hard drives have become very affordable of late and they are quite reliable.

Lots of pros use Firehand Lighting. It takes your files, compresses them, and allows you to make slide shows to share with music and notations if you like. One neat feature is that it can make a single .exe file of the show, so no one can swipe your images, copy or print them.

AcDsee is a nice viewer/sorter program that works similar to the Photoshop Bridge. It allows several different views of your images. I like the FIlmstrip viewer for editing- you see one large image, and smaller thumbnails of whats coming up on your list.

Remember that CD's and DVD's are not fail-safe archiving methods. But good quality ones, burn multiple copies, use CD-SAFE marking pens, and for those valuable memories- Store one copy off site in safety deposit box.

And remember to have some of the good ones printed as actual photos on archival paper- so you can enjoy them even when we don't have computers anymore. There is no substitute for an actual photograph you can hold in your hands and share.

Ah the never-ending quest to find ways to store all our digital media!

I have a PC in this enormous tower case that I resurrected to act as a file server across my little home network. I have nearly a terabyte of storage on this thing. I store all my MP3s, pictures, documents, videos and so forth on this, with daily backups of the important stuff to an external drive (I may seriously consider getting one of those new terabyte external drives, such as this one I found on the Best Buy site). What is cool is that I can also stream my music over my network through my trusty ol' Roku SoundBridge M1000 device into my stereo. I have the drives on the server partitioned up so that one partition contains all my images, another one for my music, a third one for the videos, a forth one for my documents and so forth. Makes keeping everything organzed as well as backing up much easier (I can just back up individual partitions as I need to, instead of everything at once).

Now for hosting pictures for public display on the 'net, I use PhotoBucket, which I find to be very handy at times.

• 2 weeks later...