La Scala Bass Horn's usable frequency range (?)

m8o

I would think the way an ear percieves a square wave is rather mute, since something that merely approximates it is going to be heard differently...no?

Sure, I played around with a mac program that could generate tones at requested frequencies as well as allowing you to select the type of wave...sine, square, and a few others. Totally different perception of sound.

The current issue of AudioXpress mag (January 2007) has an article by Steve Stokes, "A Unique Crossover Design with Waveform Fidelity".

This article is about the Technics SB-7000 speaker around 1975 which used a version of the Kido-Yamanaka crossover, which was first described by Bunkichi Yamanaka of Matsushita Corp. (Panasonic) in 1967.  This used a mid speaker (called the "Filler Driver") bridging the woofer/tweeter.

This approach claims to be able reproduce square waves.

An interesting read.  There is only one crossover point in the system.

All the above information came from the article and are not direct quotes.

The only speaker I know of that reproduced square waves was the Quad ESL-63. for their demo, they put a mike in between 2 speakers, hit it with a square wave, then reversed the polarity on one channel. The square wave disappeared from the scope.

Synthesis_square.gif

A perfect square wave requires an infinite number of harmonics:

Actually, not totally. Both that statement and the animation are 1/2 right. The Square Wave "contains only [an infinite # of] odd integer harmonics." I read that above, saw the animation showing 'even' harmonics as well, but said to myself "I thought it was only odd". And surely enough, the Wiki article says the same (which I quoted).

A hobby of mine many many years ago was to program AutoCAD in the built in AutoLisp and apply different levels of harmonics, even and/or odd, added and/or subtracted, where the coefficients mutiplied to every harmonic would follow any linear equation I programmed in, and would apply that to an oscillating mesh in the z-axis ... fun, and very pretty stuff.

The current issue of AudioXpress mag (January 2007) has an article by Steve Stokes, "A Unique Crossover Design with Waveform Fidelity". This article is about the Technics SB-7000 speaker around 1975 which used a version of the Kido-Yamanaka crossover, which was first described by Bunkichi Yamanaka of Matsushita Corp. (Panasonic) in 1967. This used a mid speaker (called the "Filler Driver") bridging the woofer/tweeter.

This approach claims to be able reproduce square waves. An interesting read. There is only one crossover point in the system. All the above information came from the article and are not direct quotes.
Totally OT, but I luv this stuff so I'll persist. Is that the x-over design which uses a very narrow bandwidth filler driver of about 32 ohms or something like that? I was very intrigued by that when I read about it in the early 80's in the AES Journals. I didn't read [or know] there was an actual implemenetation of the theory. Thanx. I'll have to look for the current mag.

A perfect square wave requires an infinite number of harmonics:

Actually, not totally. Both that statement and the animation are 1/2 right. The Square Wave "contains only [an infinite # of] odd integer harmonics." I read that above, saw the animation showing 'even' harmonics as well, but said to myself "I thought it was only odd". And surely enough, the Wiki article says the same (which I quoted).

A hobby of mine many many years ago was to program AutoCAD in the built in AutoLisp and apply different levels of harmonics, even and/or odd, added and/or subtracted, where the coefficients mutiplied to every harmonic would follow any linear equation I programmed in, and would apply that to an oscillating mesh in the z-axis ... fun, and very pretty stuff.

The animation is just showing the number as a quantity of harmonics - basically the k value in the equation.