HK updates

colterphoto1

I have a nice clean HK430 receiver. I've known that it was a bit noisy since day one, so I always take the precaution of switching off the speakers when powering up/down. It is in my gallery and powers my Khorns. Because they are so efficient, I can barely hear the hum coming from the HK.

Problem is, that now I'm bringing home speakers to audition and that is the easiest, cleanest room to set up and compare in. With some of these 88-92 db speakers, I can't get a good listening test in because of the bad hum. Yes it's 60 Hz, no it's not a grounded outlet, yes I've 180'd the plug to no real change in hum level.

Could this unit need a capacitor refreshening or ??

M

Michael,

I've had three HK 430's.......and they all needed the caps replaced. I also was frustrated with the speaker wire connectors on the backs.....so that is why I sold them off........Great unit, but as was stated before, they are getting up in years......... Good Luck.

Sounds exciting that you get to sample/test the new speakers! Congrats on getting the job that most of us dream about!

DR WHO

QUOTE How does one determine which caps need replacing? I've never tore into the inside of one, but I would imagine replacing all the caps would be rather expensive...

You have a point since old caps values are different than todays caps. For ex: They made 21MF caps back in the 80's now you only have 20 and 22 MF. That's why I would rather leave it to the pros like ALK.

Anny way that should be the last thing to modify on a sound system. First thing should be speaker components conditions.

aye, but I know my caps are bad because the tuner section won't power up unless I leave it on for a very long time. Being in the electrical engineering program on my campus, I have no doubt that I can obtain the proper value caps (we have an entire store full of parts to our disposal) - and I like to think I know which side of the iron to hold (though some scars might say otherwise). [;)]

I just couldn't imagine going to one of the labs and measuring every component one by one...talk about a lot of work.

The PS section on an HK 430 has, as I already mentioned, very few caps, and they are pretty obvious which ones. The larger electrolytics, are there in standard values. It wouldn't cost much to replace them, and then decide if you need to do others.

http://manuals.harman.com/hk/Service%20Manual/hk430%20sm.pdf

When this amp was new, electrolytic values were -10%, +100%

Just make sure the new ones fit, you may need to go higher in voltage (that's fine) and don't go higher than X2 of the original value in µF.

Unit pops? C405

Gain is low/no bass? C408 (most likely), or C402

Scratchy volume control (on turn-on, OK after a few minutes)? C504 or C712

Hum (one channel)? C6, 7 or C8, 9

Hum (both channels, varies with volume)? C4, 15

Hum (tuner)? C3,4

Best bet?

Like roaches, you got to get 'em all (the smaller caps are about $0.10 each in 25 lot from Mouser).

Given the popularity of this unit, it makes sense to do a group buy and make up a kit of all values required.

Two comments:

First, with the addition of the service manual, we can build a list pretty easily.

Second, Dennis can never die. He is too valuable a resource to lose.

Thanks Dennis, this will help out tremendously.

Bruce

hey Mike, that might make for a fun project if I'm ever down your way again...I forgot you had so many of the HK lineup! After we freshen em all up we can bust out your Colter Comparator and list minor sonic nuances if they exist. Maybe just for kicks we can do it on a few different types of speakers to see how consistent across the board it is. If only there were more time in the world...