Sub10 makes moaning noise

oakleeman

I have a sub10 that I bought about 1.5 years ago from Best Buy. I connect it to a Pioneer receiver via the LFE port. About 30 minutes ago my wife and I started hearing this slight moaning noise that we thought was an animal outside our door. After a bit of searching I traced it to my sub. I power-cycled it several times, disconnected the LFE cable, and even plugged it into an outlet on a different wall but the moaning sound keeps coming back. I finally just left the power unplugged.

Has anybody ever heard of this before?

I believe he meant that the LFE cable is unplugged and the power cord is still plugged in. Sounds like an amp issue. The only other thing to try is a "cheater" plug. That is an adapter that turns a 3 prong plug into a 2 prong plug while eliminating the ground prong. I don't know why a ground loop issue would crop up out of nowhere, but it's a cheap check.

I don't have a ground plug, it's just a two prong plug. I tried it again tonight and it started moaning again after about 2 minutes of being powered on. I don't have the LFE cable plugged in.

If I recall this thing has a 5 year warranty so I'll start the proceedings, just hate the idea of paying for shipping...would rather just drop off at Best Buy and say "fix it"...lol.

maybe since the problem begins a little after its turned on it might might be a problem with a driver (once the coil is warmed up it might start doing funny things) I had a centre channel once that would play fine for the first say 30seconds, then when the coil heated up it would play up really bad (make funny sounds........didnt moan though [:S])

• 1 month later...

My Synergy Sub-10 just started doing the same thing...and while I was reading the forums I was trying to decide how best to describe the sound. I was gonna say there was a cat dancing around in a pan of hot grease inside the unit.

Anyway...just the other day it started making this wierd sound. It actually goes along with the bass, but much louder. Then every once in a while, the sound comes back to normal...but it's always short lived. I have the unit hooked up via LFE and have tried different cables. I was starting to think it was the receiver itself, but I hooked up a different sub-woofer and it works just fine. So, basically I know it's the Synergy that's messing up. I've had the unit for about a year with no problems until now.

What can I do to fix this?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.beergremlin.com - Only the funniest!

Oakleeman,

I've got the same problem with my Sub 10. Only thing is, this is my 2nd Sub purchased and returned for the exact same problem...moaning sound. I've had both subs for less than 10 days. BRAND NEW.

I have the Yamaha HTR-5940 and Klipsch quintet III and sub 10 (exact same setup as in the demo at BB) and exact same setup on the receiver menus and Sub 10 switches...still moaning.

Moans even when I disconnect the sub cable and leave it plugged in. Ohmed out the cable, all good. Used a different cable, no different.

Did I make a mistake with this? Two subs, same problem, one was returned (I could see the old shipping address to a customer back in Dec 06) and this one, brand new.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I have exact same problem. Is it the fuse? When playing a movie in parts with heavy bass there's no output from the sub except for that cracking (cat dancing on a pan) sound described above. Do I need a new fuse or a new sub??? I ordered it direct from Klipsch and don't have a receipt.

Help?!

My Synergy Sub-10  just started doing the same thing...and while I was reading the forums I was trying to decide how best to describe the sound.  I was gonna say there was a cat dancing around in a pan of hot grease inside the unit.

Anyway...just the other day it started making this wierd sound.  It actually goes along with the bass, but much louder.  Then every once in a while, the sound comes back to normal...but it's always short lived.  I have the unit hooked up via LFE and have tried different cables.  I was starting to think it was the receiver itself, but I hooked up a different sub-woofer and it works just fine.  So, basically I know it's the Synergy that's messing up.  I've had the unit for about a year with no problems until now.  

What can I do to fix this?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.beergremlin.com - Only the funniest!