2 or more speakers

jfmac

Lifelong Klipsch enthusiest. Was 1st exposed to them in College in Arkadelphia, Arkansas, which is about 30 miles from the Klisch factory in Hope. Actually was able to tour the factory at the time (mid 70s). Paul Klipsch came to my acoustics class and gave a demonstration and spoke on audio sound.

Here's my question. Be patient. I have a set of KG4s I have had for a while. Comparable to the Heresy in size.

Recently I was able to purchase a set of used La Scalas. They were however used as PA in a rock group and were special made for them (confirmed this with Klipsch). They do not have the tweeter normally found on LaScalas. They sound great, but the highs don't come as well as I'd like. They are OK. but not wonderful. Can I run the speaker wire from my amp (Radio Shack Optimus) and tie in to BOTH speakers on one channel (amp has an A and B setting)? Or should I run the 2 sets of speakers on seprate channels (can do this and hear both, but the sound is not as loud)?

Also I have a PA system I run a Yamaha keyboard through. Can I tie into the speaker wires and connect a input 1/4 " jack to use if I want to run my keyboard throught the LaScalas rather than the speakers with the PA, which are OK, but not that good.

Or do I need some kind of mixer that would do better.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Short answer is "yes" to both questions, but you probably don't want to do either.

If you want more high end from the lascalas for normal music listening, then the best thing to do would be to install a tweeter and return back to a normal 3-way speaker like they were originally designed. Combining the KG4 and Lascala together is going to present a wierd impedance to the amplifier, which is going to change the frequency response slightly. Also, you're going to run into issues of comb-filtering and the fact that the KG4's simply aren't as efficient - they will be about 8dB down if wired in parallel? Generally speaking, you never wire speakers in parallel unless they are of the same type.

As far as using lascalas for keyboard monitors...if the LS are better than your current PA speakers, then why not use them for the PA? I don't want to seem rude, but there is something seriously wrong if you're even considering turning up your stage volume louder than the FOH. More info regarding the kind of music you play, the venues you play in, the PA system and the guy you have riding faders would be helpful.

Thanks, Doc. BTW I used to watch the original version of Dr. Who.

The speakers are only going to be used as playback speakers primarily. While we could move them for other purposes, it is not my intention to do so. The keyboard is used for playing melodies, chords, and for tuning, not for performing. I mean, I'm a drummer. What more can you expect from me.

My thought on the PA bit was to simply tie into the speaker wire and only use it when playing something on the keyboard and turning off the amp for playback.

So can I run the LaScalas through channel "A" and the KG4s through channel "B" and play both at the same time and get a little more highs(which I can do)? Or should I just adjust the treble/bass and enjoy what I have. They do sound great. Even without the tweeter. I was listening to "Salvation Is Created" today and it was simply great though those mamas.

Way cool - I'm a huge fan of the Tom Baker series [Y]

Putting the LS on amp A and the KG4 on amp B is the same as wiring them in parallel [;)] If you can get an enjoyable sound with the tone controls, then I'd stick to just the Lascalas. But by all means, feel free to give it a try to see if you like the sound with them in parallel. Just don't crank the amp up all the way.

Recently I was able to purchase a set of used La

Scalas. They were however used as PA in a rock group and were special

made for them (confirmed this with Klipsch). They do not have the

tweeter normally found on LaScalas. They sound great, but the highs

don't come as well as I'd like. They are OK. but not wonderful.

Can I run the speaker wire from my amp (Radio Shack Optimus) and tie in

to BOTH speakers on one channel (amp has an A and B setting)? Or should

I run the 2 sets of speakers on seprate channels (can do this and hear

both, but the sound is not as loud)?

Also I have a

PA system I run a Yamaha keyboard through. Can I tie into the speaker

wires and connect a input 1/4 " jack to use if I want to run my

keyboard throught the LaScalas rather than the speakers with the PA,

which are OK, but not that good.

You

can run two pair of speakers, on A+B and it won't hurt anything.

Using A+B is easier, but the same as running both on one set of

terminals. It may not sound that good, though.

You

should restore the La Scalas to their original design. They will

have plenty of highs. Bob Crites (BEC) has a drop-in tweeter that

will go higher and absorb more power than the K-77-M.

You

can easily power your La Scalas with your PA amp. You should

probably make an adapter with a 1/4" female plug and a pair of

conductors so you don't have to cut your PA speaker cables.

Wow, you guys are great. Here is another thought. If I can find a small mixer board or something of the sort, would it be easier to just run from the speakers to it, and then go from there to wherever I need to? Amp and PA.

BTW, the techie from the Klipsch hotline said you guys would have answers.

If the Lascala's didn't come with a tweeter, you may have to add to the crossover so you can add the tweeters to make it work. I would check with Bob Crites, Russelville Ar, and tell him exactly what you have and he can fix you up with what it will take to convert your speakers to the real deal. Once that is done, you will not want anything else hooked up at the same time. Those two will be all you will need.

La Scala is a 3 way system.......................KG4's are 2 way systems.................Try a BEC set of crossovers in the La Scalas, they sound great.........Sell the KG4's and try Heresy's..............................I don't think the KG4's will sound good at all trying to stay with La Scalas.......Two different speakers....................the SPL levels alone are unbalanced..............and you will find you run out of sound from the KG4's, and the La Scalas will take all you can push them with.......................I don't think it's a good match at all.........................I like KG4's, and own a "like new" pair I bought brand new.........................

jfmac

This tweeter of which we speak was designed by Bob Crites as an upgrade/replacement to stock, & it is, imo. I had him put these in my Cornwalls. They will go higher & are stronger (abuse wise) as I understand it. He is about 4 miles SE of Russellville...good guy as is his son Mike.

JT

Wow, you guys are great. Here is another thought. If I can find a small mixer board or something of the sort, would it be easier to just run from the speakers to it, and then go from there to wherever I need to? Amp and PA.

BTW, the techie from the Klipsch hotline said you guys would have answers.

So you want to split the keyboard feed going to the FOH and the lascalas? A mixer like this should do the trick:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-MINIMON-MON800-Stereo-Monitor-Matrix-Mixer?sku=182041

But if you don't need to control the volumes independantly, you can always just run a parallel out from the direct box on stage. Connect the 1/4" cable from the keyboard into the direct box input. Run the XLR to the FOH just like normal. There should be another 1/4" jack on the direct box - run this to the amplifier powering your lascalas. You can control the lascala volume from the amp they're connected to.

The early KG4s were rated at 4 ohms (later the spec was changed to 6 ohms). Some amps will have a problem handling a second pair of speakers along with a 4 ohm pair. Check the specs on the amp before you experiment. Mixing KGs with Heritage is not ideal anyway (I have tried it just for fun - with not so impressive results).