Opinions on JBL L300 Summits?

George Roland

I know a lot of people on this forum have many different types of horn loudspeakers--Klipsch, Altec, JBL, etc.

I'm wondering how the JBL L300 Summits are regarded and what their sonic character is compared to, say, Altec 19s or K-horns, La Scalas, Cornwalls, etc. I mostly listen to classical music, opera and acoustic blues, folk music, etc.

George

Most hornies that have heard them hold them in high regard, many JBListas consider them the finest home JBL ever made until very recently.

A pal recently had some so I've heard them recently. They go deeper than any of the speakers you mentioned but at the cost of some efficiency and dynamics--- a small cost in dynamics, nothing serious. Upper bass and midrange not quite as clear as the best but certainly excellent, from the woofer to mid crossover on up as clear as any speaker and quite smooth.

VERY excellent speakers and selling for more than those you mentioned. If you can get them for a good price grab them.

My opinions ya understand.

The L 300 is held in high regard....Its basicly a Pro 4333 dressed up for home use ...Useing a well respected 136A 15" woofer,, A LE-85 mid driver & horn lens.. & 077 slot tweeter (2405) xover at 800hz & 8500....Its a very impressive sounding speaker with silky highs clean mids & a floor shaking bass. I believe the cabinet was constructed with one inch walls, very solid.

Used to have a pair. I have something similar now to the L300 or the studio version 4333. Lets call them 4338's since they are one off custom made cabinets. I am running an 076 tweeter as opposed to 077, I doubt there is a big difference.

There is no way that they hold a candle to a pair of Cornwalls much less Klipschorns. It pains me to say that since I have a lot of money tied up in these, but I have A/B them many times. Floor shaking bass? You must be kidding or haven't heard a pair, smooth mid range I will give you.

Anyone who disputes this or would like a listen is more than welcome to stop by. Better yet, anyone who would like to buy them is welcome and I will provide enough beer to make you think they sound as good:)

post-14158-13819321082286_thumb.jpg

Used to have a pair. I have something similar now to the L300 or the studio version 4333. Lets call them 4338's since they are one off custom made cabinets. I am running an 076 tweeter as opposed to 077, I doubt there is a big difference.

There is no way that they hold a candle to a pair of Cornwalls much less Klipschorns. It pains me to say that since I have a lot of money tied up in these, but I have A/B them many times. Floor shaking bass? You must be kidding or haven't heard a pair, smooth mid range I will give you.

Anyone who disputes this or would like a listen is more than welcome to stop by. Better yet, anyone who would like to buy them is welcome and I will provide enough beer to make you think they sound as good:)

Pete,

It seems like you're speakers don't have the correct 4333/L300 crossovers.

I still own a pair of Summits and owned Khorns and think that top to bottom they are better speakers than Khorns. They don't sound as big (much smaller horn) but are more coherent and image better. Bass go lower and the 077 tweeters go so high and sound so silky and walk all over the k-77's.

Guy, if you are suggesting that if I change the crossovers these will outperform my Klipschorns, by all means, count me in! Of course I'm very skeptical having owned many pairs of vintage JBL's.

I pulled the crossovers and these are the models.

3115A and 3106. Correct for the drivers? I honestly don't know.

Pete

post-14158-13819321087096_thumb.jpg

Guy, if you are suggesting that if I change the crossovers these will outperform my Klipschorns, by all means, count me in! Of course I'm very skeptical having owned many pairs of vintage JBL's.

I pulled the crossovers and these are the models.

3115A and 3106. Correct for the drivers? I honestly don't know.

Pete

Pete,

The correct crossover is N333 (home version - L300) or 3133 (pro version 4333). I'ts a single crosssover covering both 800hz/8500hz points.

The 3115A is a 500hz crossover that you're using is meant to be used with the LE-15 woofer which is 2 db more efficient than the 136A woofer so :

1.Crossover point should be 800hz in the original L-300/4333

2.You get less output from the 136a woofer causing inbalanced sound.

3. LE-85 midrange drivers work too hard at 500 hz so they probably distort.

These remarks are valid in case you do have 136A woofers. If you got LE15s, You're using the right crossovers for these drivers but they're different than the ones found in L300/4333.

In any case, LE-15 woofers don't go as low as 136A's.

Guy,

I have had these speakers for a long time and now you are making me work too hard:) Had to pull a woofer to confirm.

OK, here we go:

Pro version of the 076.

LE85 mid horn.

135A woofers.

You stated that the LE85 would have to work too hard at 500, but my S7R Sovereigns have an LX5 and I believe it crosses at 500?

Pete

post-14158-13819321088926_thumb.jpg

So in closing I have solved nothing other than stealing Mr. Roland's initial post:)

With the correct crossover's I can see these being very nice but hardly a wall of sound like Klipschorns. More like L100's on steroids. Still good, no doubt.

IMHO JBL had it all over Klipsch in cabinetry making and drivers that had girth but I just prefer the (large cabinet) Klipsch sound. Although I have never personally heard a pair of 4350's which I have been told would be the last speaker I would ever want to own.

Thanks Guy, you know a whole lot more than I do about JBL's.

Pete

I would really think the Summits are far more than L100s on steroids. The Summits should walk all over them with finesse.

I would buy the Summits from you, but I need more speakers like I need a hole in the head.

Bruce