WTB Academy, KLFC-7, KV-4

Roc Rinaldi

I am seeking an Academy or KLFC-7 or KV-4 speaker for center channel use. I currently have Forte IIs as main speakers and KG-4s as rear speakers. I live in Baltimore, MD (soon to be home of the World Champion Baltimore RAVENS!)

I am hoping to be able to see and hear the speaker before I buy it. So it would be nice if the seller lived within driving distance to me.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roc, you might mention that this center is to go with your Forte mains and KG4 rears. [;)]

Thanks for calling in today, pleasure talking with you. Never sell the Forte's

(yes I edited, I talk to a bazillion people a day, hard to keep it all straight- sorry)

I don't have Chorus speakers. What I have are Forte IIs for mains and KG-4s for rears.

Mike Colter suggested an Academy as a good match for the center channel. He said as an alternative that KLFC-7 or KV-4 would also be OK.

What is your opinion? Obviously I want my center channel to have the same sound qualities as my other speakers. It needs to sound as close to Forte IIs as possible.

Ideas? Do you think any of the current Klipsch models would be a good fit?

Roc,

I'm sorry I guess I misunderstood, I thought Colterphoto said that you had Chor II's. I have Forte I's and the Academy is an excellent match. I believe that the Forte II's are very similar to the regular Forte's, except they use a Tractix??? horn for midrange. This is supposedly superior to the 90/40 degree of the Forte I. I believe the dispersion pattern would lend itself to allow the Forte II to be laid on its side, under your television. That would be the ultimate Timber match for your current Forte' II's. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that the Tractix horn is square and could even be removed from the motherboard, turned 90 degrees and re-installed, that'd be awsome. Again I believe you could save money as apposed to buying an Academy.

Here I am telling you to do something different than I'm doing myself, but take it from me, while the Academy is a VERY good speaker, it is a little different in timber match to any other klipsch Heritage I've ever heard. It does lend itself to the Forte more than anything else i've found though.

I believe there would be another forum member out there that has Forte II's for mains that could benifit from having a Forte II center also, maybe you could find someone to split a pair with you.

I'm hesitant to tell you to dive on a Academy as they have been selling for anywhere from $400-$600, you could easily pick up a pair of used Black Forte II's for that same price range. I say black because If you place your television on top of it, Its going to get scratched up, you'll care less than if it's a beautiful Walnut or Oak finished speaker. I'd be interested in trying to swing a deal with you, but like I said I've got Forte I's., and most of my play money is used up right now.

Hey, forget about what I said about moving turning the mid 90degrees, that's not going to work.

But, I have another thought before you decide what to do. After researching the KG4 a little bit, It seems like that would be a good match also, and you already have one of those. Try placing one of your Kg4's as a center on its side and see what you think. That'd be a guide as to which direction you'll need to head.

I like your ideas. Thank you so much.

I bought my Forte IIs new and they listed at about $1,800 before a small discount. If it is true that a used pair might go for $800 then I can afford one of them as my center, albeit a VERY LARGE center. Obviously it would be a match to my existing Forte IIs. You do know that the Forte IIs are large floor standing speakers? I would still need to find someone who is looking for a single Forte II also. Let the search begin. Any ideas where to find such a person and where to find excellent condition used Forte IIs? Can you help me out on this?

You are obviously new here. MANY, MANY folks here use much bigger speakers for their center channel. It isn't uncommon to use a Lascalla, Belle, Cornwall, or even a Khorn in some cases as a center channel. The Forte is small in comparison. Since around 70% to 80% of the signal comes from the center channel, it's vitally important to place a good speaker in that position. The bigger the better and the closer a match to your mains, the better.

The academy ain't bad (I use one between Cornwalls) but won't come close to having another Forte. Good luck!

Garymd would be correct in his analysis regarding use of a large center. As an example, I purchased, upgraded and used an Academy as a center channel between Fortes for about a year, until I finally implemented a Forte as a center. Even as I agree the Academy is a fine speaker in its own right, the larger Forte DOES make a substantial difference in the sound, especially where bass is concerned. It is always thrilling to "uncover" what you did not know you were missing.

Your BEST bet is another Forte as a center, with the Academy a very close second.

Chris

I like your ideas. Thank you so much.

I bought my Forte IIs new and they listed at about $1,800 before a small discount. If it is true that a used pair might go for $800 then I can afford one of them as my center, albeit a VERY LARGE center. Obviously it would be a match to my existing Forte IIs. You do know that the Forte IIs are large floor standing speakers?

Yes I have a pair of Forte's.

I would still need to find someone who is looking for a single Forte II also. Let the search begin. Any ideas where to find such a person and where to find excellent condition used Forte IIs? Can you help me out on this?

I think you have already began that process, this thread is getting large enough to get quite enough views, before long, you'll probably get offers to purchase a pair or even a single. You've already thrown out a fair offer for one.

If you must go the Academy route, Might I suggest implementing a sub for center duties also to augment what your missing now. The sub does not have to be located in the same place as the Academy, as the lower signals are omnidirectonal.

with regards to the size of the Forte, I must say that the Academy is not going to save you too much room, it's rather large for a center channel anyway. That's why I suggested setting your television on top of the Forte, it'd make a great stand, One thing though, the magnetic field around the Forte could reak havoc on your television if it is a standard CRT type. To fix that you'll either have to install Bucking magnets on the drivers, or go to www.lessemf.com to tame those nasty magnetic fields.

Roc, mounting the television would be absolutely perfect IMHO. That way you could use a Forte II as a center channel in exactly the way it was designed for. Standing straight up in the center. I'm here looking at my setup and I don't think the Forte's are too tall, meaning that If you mount the television on the wall above the Forte it would not be too high from a sitting position. I can envision two small equipment racks to hold your gear, one on each side of the center Forte. Maybe even enough room to house some cd's and DVD's right with your gear. I really think your onto something ranging in the top notch HT setup here. Good luck

TV above center is working well for me - I've got a 52" sharp on the wall, and an Academy sitting on top of my SVS centered below the TV.

The sub is just the right height to put the top of the Academy at the same elevation as the tops of the front Fortes. Which is a noticable difference from the old setup, with the Academy sitting on top of a 36" mitsubishi TV - the 4' height difference between the Fortes and Academy always bothered me, but I didn't have much choice.

Wall mounted TV just makes it all the better.

watch the auctions - go for 5 Fortes and be my hero...

Roc, your in MD, I just checked Ebay. They have a pair of Forte II's with a buy it now in GA for $475.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Klipsch-Forte-ll-Audiophile-Speakers_W0QQitemZ260073534722QQihZ016QQcategoryZ61378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like the Grill cloth needs replacing, but the price is right. You could make a short road trip this weekend and have them by Sunday.

See, I TOLD you these guys would be helpful. Fellas, I probably send 1/3 of my tech customers here for additional information. Thanks for the support and remember to be gentle with the new guys!

Michael

What, you don't trust us with the other 2/3's.[8-|]

OK OK OK OK

I now have a new plan that needs input.

For my center channel I will buy two Forte IIs used (I hate used) and set them side by side directly below my soon to be wall mounted TV, it's on a stand now. I will wire them in parallel giving me 4 ohms resistance. When I started this part of my search I originally planned to purchase an RC-64 with a list price of $899.00. So I'm doing good because I already located an eBay person in Harrisburg PA who is selling his 2 Forte IIs for under $400 and I can drive to hear them and bring them home. I will put equipment racks on each side of the two center Forte IIs.

So, when I'm done I will have Forte IIs for front L C & R and my KG-4s for rears.

...................Now about the surrounds for the sides, which is the best match for me? I need to buy these.

A new Dr. HSU turbo for $999.00 will augment my existing 12" Velodyne 130wpc. I will set them side by side as Dr. HSU recommends.

I will either trade in or sell my existing McIntosh MA-6900 200wpc/.005 THD and replace it with a new McIntosh MC-207 http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/shopdisplayproducts.asp?hid=1&id=14&cat=Power+Amplifiers&prodid=1096&product=MC207 and a new McIntosh MX-119 Audio/Video Control Center. All of which will give me the following:

7.1 sound utilizing 200wpc X 7 channels plus Dr. HSU and his 500wpc for his turbo sub. All powering Klipsch speakers exclusively.

Well, what do you all think? I do need answers/opinions on my surrounds for the sides and what problems I might be inviting by setting two Forte IIs side by side and wiring them in parallel.

Waiting on input.

BTW, the Baltimore Ravens are about to steam roll their way right to the World Championship of football in case you didn't realize it.

Roc, good to hear from you again. Sounds like you've done your homework, Regarding your 7.1 system, that's cool, but do you realize that there is not much recorded information in that format as of yet (although I'm sure it will be growing soon). Mabye you shouldn't fret too much about 7.1 just yet, you know keep your eye on the ball, but don't necessarily swing at the first pitch.

I would think that a Quartet of some type would be good there, your not going to find a dipole surround speaker that's going to timbre match to the Heritage line very well. I 'd suggest smaller direct radiators that can be mounted rearward of the listening position with a wide field of separation. Quartets would probably be good there as they are about the size of Heresy's, that's about as big a speaker that i'd want to mount overhead. Because you're using a passive radiator speaker from the late 80's era, I've found that the original Heritage (Heresy) won't be an exact match, but would probably be very good. Ahh, Just thought of this, 7.1 would be a perfect place to put two Academy's. Small size, good timbre match, wide dispersion.

As far as using two Forte' II's as a center channel, I'll defer to Dr Who about why you don't want to do that, something about transient wave interferance or some technobabble like that. Me personally, I'd just use one of the Forte II's and again keep my eye on the ball for another pair of Forte II's for the rear, by keeping the odd one, this leaves the option open to use it in a 6.1 configuration for now, and also leaves the opportunity to moniter this forum for someone who is trying to sell just one of what you need for a match.

Great effort so far.