More CNC fun....

popbumper

With the plethora of really FINE cabinet projects (yes, I am referring to jwcullison, Dana and others), another small but perhaps interesting entry into the foray. I have created here yet another cabinet into which I am going to install components right after I post this.

Can anyone venture a guess as to what this speaker might be?

Chris

post-14415-13819321210816_thumb.jpg

Bill:

I figured Cornwall III would be the first guess - good one - though I would not possible have the plans to do one of those [:P]. It's definitely the Cornwall cabinet, but the tweeter and midrange horns are from another Klipsch speaker.

Chris

What's with the non "square" shape of the driver cutouts for the squawker and tweeter? Are these installed with the driver attached?

definitely a CW III, see how high up the woofer is?

yup, that's one of the tricks for frontal mounting. I recall seeing those entry holes in Heresy II cabinets year before last

Dr:

The holes are cut that way so that the drivers can be mounted from the front (slightly skewing them allows you to slip the magnet structures through the holes). A neat trick, and something that Klipsch "invented".

Colter:

Not a Cornwall III - yes, certainly I WAS after that "effect" by placing the woofer higher on the cabinet, and the cabinet itself is dimensionally correct for a Cornwall. Since I certainly don't have the secret plans" for the Cornwall III, nor access to the drivers, I am "forced" to use alternate drivers from another Klipsch speaker - think "older", but not Heritage (i.e, Cornwall, Heresy and the others in that family).

Jay:

The facility I work in has a woodshop attached to it, with a CNC machine. As you can imagine, I spend a lot of my free evenings and weekends playing around with it.

Chris

What type of bits does that CNC use?  Whats the shank size and RPM?  Pic would be excellent.

Seems like the various bits used on handheld routers are only good for a few circles before they crap out.  At 22 bucks each, that's not a good thing.

Give the man a ceegar......Cornforte' it is. Assembled and "took a listen" last evening; a good speaker with robust/clean bass (like the Cornwall), and nice detail on the midrange and upper end (like the Forte). Right now the speaker has an improved Forte network (a K-stack using the Forte component values with Kimber Kaps and the like). Not sure this is the BEST crossover implementation for the speaker; of course, I am happy to take suggestions. I will have a photo of the seaker shortly.

On the CNC - stay tuned - I will take some photos today of the CNC in action. I am using 1/4" downcut bits (carbon steel) at 15,000 RPM and feed/plunge rates of 80 and 35 inches/min - not very fast, but very clean and accurate. The machine is a Techno Isel - very basic single sheet (4' x 8') with vacuum bed, manual bit change (no autochange) and X/Y/Z axis only. Hey - it does the trick for low volume production.

Chris

"using 1/4" downcut bits (carbon steel) at 15,000 RPM and feed/plunge rates of 80 and 35 inches/min"

So it's the RPM's.  I've used 1/4 bits before and they break easy so I switched to 1/2 bits.   

How long do these bits last?   For example, how many 15 inch circles before the bits get dull? 

Speakerfritz, what sorta router are you using. Also what type of wood are you cutting??? I have a few carbide 1/4 spiral downcut bits that went through alot of mdf and still sharp as ever. Its worth it to buy carbide. I think its MLCS is where I brought them, they are cheap and never broke. Also, if you need I have a 3 hp dewalt plunge router if you need. That and I have a 1/4 inch rounderover and 1 inch roundover.

BTW the dewalt can do 15000 rpm too and there is a slow start. Also are you digging in to deep? it sounds like you are trying to cut the wood in one step, I always do layers. Oh, and I guess I am afraid of the bit breaking. Is it dangerous?